Haygrazer comparison

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
50.00 per cwt three-way cross( tridan) on the right.
78.00 per cwt delayed maturity (super sugar)
On left.
Planted same day , same setting on drill, same fertilizer..see ya in a couple weeks

bird dog said:
This will be interesting. I wish you had some Johnson grass in the comparison.

There's Johnson grass scattered in the field it's about a foot high. So outpacing the ss. We had a really light frost last week that burnt the Johnson grass pretty good. Didn't kill it ,but made a Mark. Didn't hurt the ss I imagine because it was short and the ground was warm.

callmefence said:
50.00 per cwt three-way cross( tridan) on the right.
78.00 per cwt delayed maturity (super sugar)
On left.
Planted same day , same setting on drill, same fertilizer..see ya in a couple weeks

Don't let this comparison get away from us, ok? At least let us see it before you cut it. :D

callmefence said:
wbvs58 said:
I look forward to seeing it down the track Farmer Fence.

Ken

Ha!!
I'll have you know I wear a Stetson, Spurs and chaps anytime I'm on a tractor...

Are the spurs for when you get in a wet spot, and you have to spur the ol'mule to get through?

sim.-ang.king said:
callmefence said:
wbvs58 said:
I look forward to seeing it down the track Farmer Fence.

Ken

Ha!!
I'll have you know I wear a Stetson, Spurs and chaps anytime I'm on a tractor...

Are the spurs for when you get in a wet spot, and you have to spur the ol'mule to get through?

The Spurs are so I don't look silly wearing chaps with no Spurs. You oughta know that.

I saw in another thread that you got it cut. Which did better? I have two kinds in one field and the Super Sugar is doing better than the expensive stuff so far.

Dirt Farmer said:
I saw in another thread that you got it cut. Which did better? I have two kinds in one field and the Super Sugar is doing better than the expensive stuff so far.
That was a different field. I just cut the mixed field yesterday. I've got pictures of it and several other fields of both types. . Just haven't had time to put everything together. I will, I promise.
Few days..

I'll start with the mixed field I've been posting .
It got a little ripe but we got it put up right, made 72 51/2 x5 with a few honest 6x5 in there. On fourteen acres.

The outside and turn row are planted in the regular three-way.cross. the center is late maturity . My finger is right in the corner the cheaper seed being to the right and nearest me

Three-way cross headed out and 8' tall

Both below would be the late maturity. Probably 30 percent headed out much shorter but very thick. Red seed heads is mostly.johnson grass.

Different field of three way cross just starting to head out. Caught this field perfect. Made right at 4.5 5x5 per acre

Another field of the late maturity. Cut before it ever thought off heading out . 24 acres made 52 51/2x5 and roughly 500 small squares.

Got one field left to cut that was planted very late of the three-way seed. And then it's looking like a second cut available. Both seem to be regrowing well.
I see little difference in the two seeds, yield, stem size, all seem to be equal. The late maturity definitely heads a little later, but just a couple of weeks. If you're spread out with several fields this might be of benefit. But if it justifys the cost difference I don't see it. If you want good fine stem haygrazer plant it thick, 80 pounds, and plant with a good drill.
I will plant the cheaper three-way cross from now on. And several others around here are saying the same.

Just cut the last field it was planted late, well into may. Three way cross looks pretty good but starting to flounder in the heat. I don't see it recovering without good rain and I usually put oats here early September. After the hays off I'll let the cows clean it up and go ahead and disc it.

Cows may get this if I can't get the second cutting knocked down this week. The sugar cane aphids have arrived.

Fence how high are you cutting that for good regrow this?

My sorghum Sudan died out on me even after cutting it about 3-4" high with my Haybine.

kentuckyguy said:
Fence how high are you cutting that for good regrow this?

My sorghum Sudan died out on me even after cutting it about 3-4" high with my Haybine.

I usually cut at,4" to me it seems like the most important thing is to have good soil moisture.
Early first cutting with not to brutal temps and good soil moisture, the grass growing up through the windrows before the stems get dry can be a problem. It regrows so fast.
But if brutal hot like now it'll die on you. You can really make some nice green hay in this heat though. I'm getting it dry in 2-3 days instead of 5-6

I think the 5 days of drying and 3 passes with the tedder may have been what did mine in then.

Good thing was a ended up with a good stand of volunteer crabgrass after the SS died off. I love sorghum Sudan hay when I can get it dry.

kentuckyguy said:
I think the 5 days of drying and 3 passes with the tedder may have been what did mine in then.

Good thing was a ended up with a good stand of volunteer crabgrass after the SS died off. I love sorghum Sudan hay when I can get it dry.

Ive never run a Tedder so definitely not trying to get in your business. I've done plenty of beating it to Oblivion with all sorts of rakes.. lol
I've decided the best way to to do it is cut it with a conditioner and have the gate set to leave it in about 4' windrow. Then let it lie, don't touch it until it's toasted on top. Sometimes 5 days. Then early in the morning pull two together and let the top get dry again often that evening sometimes the next. Then bale it. Error towards to dry and baling early or late. This greatly helps with not shattering the leaf. Of course you got to have the weather to make it work.

callmefence said:
I'll start with the mixed field I've been posting .
It got a little ripe but we got it put up right, made 72 51/2 x5 with a few honest 6x5 in there. On fourteen acres.

The outside and turn row are planted in the regular three-way.cross. the center is late maturity . My finger is right in the corner the cheaper seed being to the right and nearest me

Three-way cross headed out and 8' tall

Both below would be the late maturity. Probably 30 percent headed out much shorter but very thick. Red seed heads is mostly.johnson grass.

Different field of three way cross just starting to head out. Caught this field perfect. Made right at 4.5 5x5 per acre

Another field of the late maturity. Cut before it ever thought off heading out . 24 acres made 52 51/2x5 and roughly 500 small squares.

Got one field left to cut that was planted very late of the three-way seed. And then it's looking like a second cut available. Both seem to be regrowing well.
I see little difference in the two seeds, yield, stem size, all seem to be equal. The late maturity definitely heads a little later, but just a couple of weeks. If you're spread out with several fields this might be of benefit. But if it justifys the cost difference I don't see it. If you want good fine stem haygrazer plant it thick, 80 pounds, and plant with a good drill.
I will plant the cheaper three-way cross from now on. And several others around here are saying the same.

" If you want good fine stem haygrazer plant it thick, 80 pounds, and plant with a good drill."

Totally agree but I usually do 50#/AC. On stem size, I have some BMR late maturing with which I am experimenting this year and some of the seeds went astray. At 50"/AC, you get nice pencil sized stems. These "loners" are already at a quarter dollar stem size and just 4' tall. Does make a difference. Soon as I get the parts iin to fix the AC in my baling tractor, I'm going to put it up.

Latest posts