Haybine Pros & Cons?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
Well we are looking at buying a new mower for next spring hay season. I would like to have a haybine but i never had one, and i dont know anyone around my parts that use one. Im looking at maybe a used older New Holland one i see them near by for sale, for reasonable prices. We dont have that many flat pastures lil rolling hills, but nothing major.

So what are the Pros and Cons of ya'll that have used them? Would i be better off buying another disk mower?

SFFarms":3ipoclqz said:
Well we are looking at buying a new mower for next spring hay season. I would like to have a haybine but i never had one, and i dont know anyone around my parts that use one. Im looking at maybe a used older New Holland one i see them near by for sale, for reasonable prices. We dont have that many flat pastures lil rolling hills, but nothing major.

So what are the Pros and Cons of ya'll that have used them? Would i be better off buying another disk mower?

Haybine has become a generic term for mower-conditioners. Do you mean a New Holland Haybine or one of the competitors?
I prefer a disc mower. Much more productive in my situation than the sickle-bar Haybine. If you are considering a disc mower conditioner, I would suggest a tedder and a disc mower.

john250":38knqs0y said:
If you are considering a disc mower conditioner, I would suggest a tedder and a disc mower

Why not buy a discbine and do it all in one pass.

Discbine is the way to go. Never breaking a guard or a section out of the sickle. Never plugging up again on wire grass. If you were closer I would make you a fabulous offer on an JD 1209 Mower conditioner for I know I will never use it again.

Jeff

SFFarms":27f3f20i said:

first what hp of tractor, it takes more HP to pull a disc mo co than a disc mower, secondly if going with a disc mower conditioner is a good deal but if going from a disc mower to a sickle bar hay bine you are going backwards Have a NH disc moco a kuhn disc moco and a heston disc moco of the 3 the heston is easiest pull and like the drive shaft on the hesston and the NH because you can cut square coners not so with the kuhn but all are great machines

We have 4 472 N/H haybine 2 that gets used very little .The other 2 is for parts only.
Since we started using disc mowers we only use hay bines on johnson grass or sudan.
They will help cure time by rolling the stems.They do a go job but slower than disc mowers.
If you buy one try to get ahold of a junk one for parts.It seems like every time we us one we have to get something off one of the junk ones to get through the day.If I was just doing 20 or 30 acres I would
use haybine all the time.

I have never owned a disc mower,but I have used the neighbors 617 NH alot.I don't really care that much for it,I can go just as fast and do a better job with my haybine.I might not know how to use the disc mower or maybe there is something wrong with it? I have owned several NH haybines and have had very few problems,but I do know a few folks that can't seem to keep them running.

I'm curious about this too. I run a new holland 617 disc mower and have been contemplating a discbine since they are wider. What are the pros and cons? Would it be worth it for me to get a discbine since I already have a nh617 that's practically brand new? On average how much quicker would you say the hay cures? I know there are many factors, weather, thickness, etc... How good are the wind rows? I have a big vermeer wheel rake now. Would I need a tether?