Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Lots of it around this year. It seems almost every field has big bales of hay setting there waiting to be picked up. Quite a change from last year. It's still going to be expensive because of fertilizer and fuel prices, but at least we'll be getting some decent feed. Last year we paid unreasonable prices for pretty trashy hay...and were grateful to get it.

I was thinking the same thing. Lots of real pretty hay just everywhere. Does my heart good.

Last year we went from just 4 bales from the entire summer and so far we just got our first cutting of the year for 18 bales, on a 19 acre field. Perfect timing too, it poured all morning, just a day after everything was baled.

Good for you-it looks like we're starting out extremely dry extremely early. We have temps in the 90's and no rain in sight. Folks have hay on the ground right now but it's short and I don't see it growing back very well unless we start getting some rain.

There is plenty of hay, Now. Because it is spring and we have gotten a few good rains it has made for a good 1st cutting. But if we dont get rain, their wont be a good second cutting. So I suggest you buy your hay early, because I think hay will be scarce this year to. I hope this wont be the case. But it's looking pretty dry in Alabama.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":wxz3rozc said:
Last year we went from just 4 bales from the entire summer and so far we just got our first cutting of the year for 18 bales, on a 19 acre field. Perfect timing too, it poured all morning, just a day after everything was baled.

Different region, different point of view. If I was getting only one bale an acres, I would be crying. With the price of fuel, and machinery, I think it's too expensive to be in a field for only a few bale an acres. You , you seem to be happy with this situation and I respect your point of view.

Marcel

With our tiny herd, this one cutting is plenty to last, after giving the man who bales for us some bales. We got lots of rain in the late winter/early spring, but its been somewhat dry since then. After last year, I definately am happy to get 18 bales from it, even though a good cutting would be a lot more than that.

Latest posts