hay

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
I know this will be differant for all the differant regions but here is a question. How much hay can you get per acre if the weather is " normal " for the year. I know weather, soil, fertilizer and everything else plays a factor but on a normal year what can you get in your regions?

BP

Depends on the type of hay and what is this "normal year" thing you talk about?

dun

Oh, way too many variables to state that. Like Dun said it depends on the type. It also depends on which state, how it is fertilized, how hot/cold etc.

flaboy-":3jl4gp72 said:
Oh, way too many variables to state that. Like Dun said it depends on the type. It also depends on which state, how it is fertilized, how hot/cold etc.

That is true, but on average we get 1 cutting and about 1 1/2 to 2 tons per acre. This is alfalfa or alfalfa/grass hay.

In the heavy soil to the West and Northwest of here [Red River Valley country. Said to be some of the best soil in the world].
A good crop is 4 cuttings of alfalfa, with a total of max 6 tons.
Ave is 5 tons per year.

mnmt

I hope for 3 ton hay. This year I got 1 ton hay. None the year before. And 2003 was 2.5 ton but part of got rained on bad so ....... what was normal again?

Sorry, I didn't see the part about "your region" and on adverage.

I too expect to get ~3 ton/acre of Bahia.

2 to 2.5 tons per acre of alfalfa, clover, grass mix from the first
cutting. Goes down from there with each cutting, but quality goes up. This is for no fertilizer and reasonable rain. Tonage goes up with fertilizer and adequate/timely rain.

Except for this year, I get 3 rolls per acre of Annual Ryegrass in May.

1100 lb. rolls.

Reason I ask this is I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to plant alfalfa/clover mix on 7 acres. Its an old feild that needs cleaned up and fertilized. Land is part of father in laws land but on the other side of the road so not connected to his other 580 acres. He told me I could use it if I wanted so was wondering if growing hay on 7 acres would be worthwhile?

BP

free acreage oh yeah. well maybe yes maybe no.
reference "do it for free" thread on the everything else board

Latest posts