Hay!

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere in an earlier post (from Dun) 3 things to be concerned about is protein, TDN and nitrates.

My questions are...
1. Where can I get hay tested and how long does it take to get results?
2. Is $28 dollars a ton (big round bales) a good price for sudan hay delivered? I know prices vary per region.
3. Does sudan make good hay? The farmer I am talking to says it's the type of sudan where cows can eat the stock and all. He said in other types of sudan, cows couldn't eat the stock. Is this true?

Thanks,

Getting it from a Dr. Reese out of Kaufman, TX. He is a retired Cancer Doc from Dallas. He is farming and ranching now.

Also owns a ranch in Bristol, TX - between you and I.

TexasShooter":1uy8n1lk said:
2. Is $28 dollars a ton (big round bales) a good price for sudan hay delivered? I know prices vary per region.

$28 a ton seems like a very good price. That would be $14 a bale if the bales weighed 1000 lbs a piece.

TexasShooter":1hfheijr said:
Getting it from a Dr. Reese out of Kaufman, TX. He is a retired Cancer Doc from Dallas. He is farming and ranching now.

Also owns a ranch in Bristol, TX - between you and I.

How much will he charge to haul a semi load to MO?

dun

Dun,
I have no idea, but it's not $14 a roll. That was a misprint. If you're still interested, I will find out.

By the way Dun where do you get your hay tested or do you do it yourself?

TexasShooter":qmhmjouj said:
Dun,
I have no idea, but it's not $14 a roll. That was a misprint. If you're still interested, I will find out.

By the way Dun where do you get your hay tested or do you do it yourself?

I was kidding about having him haul it up here. At the cost of the hauling I could feed local alfalfa. The locacl extension office can get it tested or in most cases the producer has already tested it.

dun

You can get your hay tested at the forage lab at Texas A&M or at Stephen F. Austin State University. There are also a few private labs available like Pope Testing in Dallas.

Latest posts