Hay temp probe

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I have ready that many use a $20-$30 compost theremometer. Many of them are available on Amazon and eBay

OP
M-5

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
. with all the rain I've had to stack hay before it normalized in the field so i' checking temps to make sure I don't have issues. I looked them up on line and it seemed like a lot for something to check temps. I found that Home depot sells a soil temp analog probe and I have 12" cooking thermometer . I am working on a homemade one that I will post pics after im thru . I will have about 15 bucks in it . Its a digital oven or grill probe with 36" line 10 to 14 bucks , a 30" steel brake line 5 bucks. Cut the bell end off of one end , slide probe down the tube. use crimper to crimp tube to the probe light file around the cut end and your done. Im gonna build a handle for it when I decide how I want to do it.

First test and it works well. I can push it to center fairly easy ,

chevytaHOE5674

Reaction score
If the hay was baled dry then you shouldn't have to worry putting it in the barn before it "normalizes". I stack 99% of my hay in the barn and under tarp ASAP after baling, I also oven check all my moisture contents and don't bale until I am below ~14% moisture.

dun

Reaction score
The main thing I use mine for is checking the moisture level before baling.

OP
M-5

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
chevytaHOE5674":qu5bflng said:
If the hay was baled dry then you shouldn't have to worry putting it in the barn before it "normalizes". I stack 99% of my hay in the barn and under tarp ASAP after baling, I also oven check all my moisture contents and don't bale until I am below ~14% moisture.

I had to bale it Friday afternoon if I was gonna get it made. I guessing it was less than 18% but higher than 14% . temps have stabilized I checked every bale yesterday and unstacked it to let it breath a few days . last years hay has internal temp of 85 to 90 deg which I used as base line. this cutting is 100 to 120 yesterday evening and this morning it was 95 to 110 on the few bales I checked

Latest posts