Hay Storage

Help Support CattleToday:

usernametaken

Reaction score
Just how many years is hay, stored in a good dry barn, good for ? Doesn't it loose a percentage of quality each year ? If so, how much % ?

Anyone ever salted hay ? Does that help in preservation ?

How many years would you recommend keeping back for drought years that may come ?

Thanks

hay can last for years in a barn.id say 6 or 7yrs in the barn.it might loose some of its protine.it can last 4 or 5yrs outside.but itll look like crapp.an the cows will eat old hay better than anyone thinks.

I took some square bales out of a hayloft after 25 years and it still looked good.

Buddy of mine bought some that had been in the barn for over 7 years. Smelled real musty, and looked pretty bad. He gave .25 a bale for 400 bales.His cattle have ate it real good, but I'd be afraid for a Horse to eat it.

gabby":1e7m7wsb said:
I took some square bales out of a hayloft after 25 years and it still looked good.

Well, I never would have thought it to last that long ! :lol:

I put some square bales up in 1996 that tested 14.4% crude protein. Every year we just stack more on top. With the drought last year, we got down to the bottom of the stack and I knew what year we put it in because it was wire tied. I sent a core sample in and it checked 14.2% ten years latter.

The main problem with long term storage is the mice and the stuff gets awfully dry, but it's still good feed if properly stored

I'm with Dun,mice turn it into a motel after a few years but I fed out some hay that was over 10 years old from a freinds barn that wanted to clean it out. As long as you cut the strings(if there's any left) and shake it out, to get the droppings out they'll eat it up.

Latest posts