Hay Shed Question

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a shed for storing my round bales. I plan on an A -frame design with two sides closed about 32-36 feet wide and 50-60 feet long. Is a design with poles down the center much stronger than a clear span design (I won't be using steel trusses)?

a traditional "pole barn" is cheaper to build since you can use rafters and no trusses. However, I have found that the poles down the center are a huge pain in the neck when trying to unload hay that has been sitting for several months and has squatted... its hard to manuever them out between the posts w/o tearing the wrap/outer shell off of the rolls. A properly built truss barn will be plenty strong and has been very common here in KY and TN with the govt cost share from the tobacco settlement.

If I had it to do over... I would definitely build a truss barn!

That sort of width is easy to do with a truss roof. The posts will drive you nuts if you don't knock them out accidentally.

angus9259":2zgf7hlu said:
That sort of width is easy to do with a truss roof. The posts will drive you nuts if you don't knock them out accidentally.

Bingo! Been there, got the shirt.

gertman":h9nzcqjr said:
I'm planning to build a shed for storing my round bales. I plan on an A -frame design with two sides closed about 32-36 feet wide and 50-60 feet long. Is a design with poles down the center much stronger than a clear span design (I won't be using steel trusses)?

Another option would be to build a pipe frame, weld the supporting pipe for the roof, drill holes through the pipe, use the hugh sheets of particle board (I think they are something like 40' long X 20' high X 2" deep, but I'm not sure), tin/paint your shed - depending on your location, you might have to tin the roof, but that isn't that big of a deal - and then you will have the same size shed without the trusses, or the poles down the center. Just a suggestion.

Go with a wood or steel roof truss system. "Engineered" trusses are very strong. Cover roof with 26 guage "galvalume" or similar brand corrugated tin. Sides also with the tin sheets. I'd stay away from A-frame design (compromises inside space). Side walls probably 12' high or so. Sidewall supports either square steel posts (e.g. 4x4") or "used" utility poles (that are creosoted) that have excellent rot resistance. Side wall support posts 8' on center along with 3 or 4 lateral supports (laterals could be 2x6" treated boards).

I'd not recommend center supports unless the barn is at least 36 to 40 feet wide. Want plenty room to put bales in with a tractor without getting too close to any supports.

Clear span is the only way to go if you are storing hay in it. Pay more for it now or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

grannysoo":1bjir3eg said:
Clear span is the only way to go if you are storing hay in it. Pay more for it now or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Ditto. You don't want to have to worry about poles in the middle of your barn. Much easier when all you have to worry about hitting are the side walls.

Latest posts