hay movers

Help Support CattleToday:

csutton

Reaction score
Does anybody use any special equipment when moving small squares? If so, how does it work? Just looking for some kind of attachment for the front end loader to make loading squares easier for one person.

csutton

csutton":1l7x3kuy said:
Does anybody use any special equipment when moving small squares? If so, how does it work? Just looking for some kind of attachment for the front end loader to make loading squares easier for one person.

csutton
Just 5 pieces. Anyone ranching or raising cattle should have them available at all times.
Two strong arms
Two strong legs
One strong back

When we used squares, we used a sloop. Then we built an attachment for the front end loader with 5 fingers on it that would fit under the stack. We could load the trucks by dropping each stack on the flat deck, then pushing it further up the deck with the next stack. Unloading was still done by hand (hay hooks were nice if we could find em), but we simply re-stacked them like they came off the sloop, and then we could feed with the tractor and FEL.

Rod

This is what we use
http://www.roadrunnermfg.com/roadrunner ... ueeze.html
but only because we are in the hay business. Not cost effective for anything else :shock: they sure work well though, can load 28 tons on a truck in about 20 minutes, including wieghing and squaring the load up so they can go 300+ miles without a ticket (hopefully).

This company
http://www.lewcomfg.com/balehandlers/in ... ion=10bale
, Lewco MFG makes a grapple deal that goes on the front of a loader. It can pick up a flat of 6-14 small square bales, I think the two tie 14x16" bales. Our 'small' squares are 15x22" and wiegh around 130lbs so hay hooks aren't much fun. Depending on your bale size they can make accumulators that make a flat of small bales, that you can then pick up with the hay grapple, or you can use a New Holland bale wagon, and the same grapple can move layers of those stacks.

I've seen something used that I belive is called a stackhand. It is used with an accumulator. the stackhand is mounted on the loader. you set it on the accumulated bales and hooks swivel down and catch in the bales. you can pick up several (I'm not sure how many bales can grouped togeter) bales at a time.

Brett

BH":258gb05d said:
I've seen something used that I belive is called a stackhand. It is used with an accumulator. the stackhand is mounted on the loader. you set it on the accumulated bales and hooks swivel down and catch in the bales. you can pick up several (I'm not sure how many bales can grouped togeter) bales at a time.

Brett

The ones we've used can pick up from one to a maximum of 8 bales or from one to a maximum of 10 bales at one time (2 seperate attachments).

Latest posts