Have to make a decision re: a barren cow . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
In 2009, I purchased a reg'd British White cow -- a big girl! She had a nice heifer calf for us in 2010. She did not take with AI for a calf this year. She has front-end problems -- more body than she has legs to support (some recent post, on another thread, talked about legs -- they need to have legs to support them!). She's uncomfortable, moves slow. I don't want her to suffer, and I don't want to do hit-and-miss and maybe re-create that problem. I don't have a huge "attachment" to her, except for the $$ paid, because she's never been a NICE cow -- she can be ornery and chargie and bytchie.

I'm guessing she's about 1,600 lbs. today.

So, my question: If I took her in to the sale at Toppenish (see link below), what class would I put her in for Butcher Cows?

http://www.toppenishlivestock.com

Hate this . . . . I really f'in hate this!

If she is in good shape and nice and fleshy she will go for top price if she has visible problems walking they may be concerned with her being able to make the ride to the slaughter facilities . So your guess is as good as anyone's.

Don't worry about how to grade her Kathie. you have given plenty of reasons to cull her. Haul her and forget her. Believe me I know it only hurts for a little while.

I'm in the same position on a couple. They are gone no matter what.

She walks -- not fast; she's sore, and you can tell by looking at her that she is. OMG, this was one of the first 2 cows I ever bought. So, then, I'm going through, "Did I make wrong decisions then?" But, I guess that's how we learn, right?! I'm up to taking the lumps on the learning curve.

You just drop her off. That grade/class is something they do in reporting not in how they sell animals. When they sell cull cows they just run them through in the order that they will work through the door and buyers bid. There is no announcement just selling.

Believe me we have all taken more than a few lumps on that learning curve. The first one I owned was over 50 years ago and still take a lump every now and then.

Dave - I know I can't pick the "grade" I'd like to see her in. Was just wondering what you guys/gals thought, based on her description, vs./relative to the Toppenish categories of market cattle. Wouldn't it be nice if we could "pick" ?!

If you are feeling tender hearted about her, it might be a "kinder gentler" experience for her to load up from home and make a short haul to your local processor. That would be a lotta hamburger, hope you have a big family.

If you've decided she has to go this is probably a moot point but... if she has failed to concieve after a single a.i attempt (you didn't say how many times she was a.ied) she is most likely not a barren cow, she is an open cow. If she was bred, would you keep her around? Can you borrow a bull?

Cowpunk'd -- You're right -- she's "open." Besides not having taken via AI last year (and then I didn't preg check her -- my bad), she has structural problems. And she's NOT a nice cow! If she/you have a disagreement, she tears up the ground around her with her tail straight in the air like a Buff bull. Can't get near a calf on the ground with her. The decision has been made, with her. We have better cows. And she's done nothing to support an emotional attachment. :)

Latest posts