Hauling Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

norriscathy":19yatjqh said:
"Cheap" and "Temporary" are the two most expensive words in the English language. You'll ending up redoing/repairing something 3 or 4 times when once is all that is necessary if you buy the "good stuff" to start with.

Norris
"education is not cheap" :lol:

The trailer I put mine on is an 18' by 7' heavy built trailer.
I set it flush with the back of the trailer. The cattle panel does
work well to help them keep their footing.( I set mine up so
that the rack sits on top of the panels and this makes it spray
clean easier and less rust occurs.)
I hold it down with 4 heavy chains on each side.

I only take this unit off the trailer once a year.
( to haul roundbales home in the summer.)

If my unit was welded to the trailer it would be the same as
any open stock trailer(period).

Obviously there are similiar units that are not built near as well.
Mine cost around 1300 after the extra welding.(1/3 the cost of a good 16'bumper)
and I already owned the flatbed trailer. I do keep all my
equipment in the barns. I only have one trailer to cover.(ins)

Lunker

lunker

msscamp":1tu47f38 said:
Horticattleman":1tu47f38 said:
I heard from someone that there is a type of temporary pen that slides inside a standard 16 foot trailer to convert it to a trailer to haul cattle. Then you can take it out and use as a small pen. Anybody know what this is or where to get it???

I guess I am not understanding the question - why would there be a need to convert a 16' trailer into a trailer - as it's already a trailer? :???: :???: As far as the temporary pen goes, I would imagine that trying to pen cows in something that small and temporary would be a wreck (and could result in several hours spent rounding them up again) waiting to happen unless you've got some extremely docile cows. Just my thoughts.

You youngins, that know it all are too young to remember, they are still many of these in use in Texas, matter of fact I am looking to buy a new one, if I can find anyone old enough, to know how to build it.

Seen one twisted at a scrap yard .bull didnt like it.scrap trailer was new and was shiney !now that was ! an expensive bull ! As far as stock trailers go theres a lot used ones out there if you going move 4 to 5 head you should be able to pick up an old bumper pull, a used reese hitch. will make a good investment ,check floor good dont matter what rest of it looks like ! around here there used to be a lot people you could hire to haul if you needed ,there still a few .personally thats how i have done it,and will still do it ! small opperation 30 ft gooseneck is expensive up keep !besides haul bill expense out that year on taxs .besides unless your picking something up at sale barn ,if your buying from individual and just few head negotiate hauling in the price ! i did this several times ! :2cents:
my fist 10 yrs never owened one when i look mine sitting in the way an i have to move just to make room .kinda wished i didnt have it .

Latest posts