Hauling a full grown holstein

Help Support CattleToday:

Manunitedtopgear

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question about what to haul my full grown holstein in. I currently have a 2 horse trailer with a divider bar in the middle. My cow is too large to fit in the trailer the way it is. My question is has anyone on here hauled a full grown cow in a 2 horse trailer. Also i was thinking about welding two bars on the side of the entrance and removing the middle bar, but I don't think my cow will back out of the trailer and I am not sure what to do. Is there any way to modify this trailer so that a cow can turn around in it. If there isn't what kind of trailer would you all suggest for a full grown cow? Thank you

Well I don't worry about her backing out if I have a ramp, but this trailer does not have a ramp on the back, she is pretty gentle and has been in this trailer when she was younger. Is there any way to fit this trailer with a ramp and what material would I use

If the trailer is not over a foot of the ground she should step off. The problem with a ramp is it will have to be very heavy if she is big and also where are you going to store it. U get her on and she will get off.

Don't over think this situation. You make her get on, she'll make herself get off.

When you get her where you're going, don't stay standing behind the gate after you open it--she's coming out of there, no problem. Bottom of my trailer frame is about 16" high--never had any problems with one not wanting to step down off it, forwards or backing out.

I've hauled full sized cows in a 2 horse trailer but I took out the center divider. Had one crawl up in the feed platform in front, had a helluva time getting her out of there. Once she cleared that she came out of the trailer fine. None of the others ever were a problem getting in or out.

When you get to your destination open up the doors and go away and have a cuppa coffee or something and let her think out the situation even book some overnight accommodation if necessary. She will eventually find her way out.

Ken

Ive had large bulls in full sized gooseneck cattle trailers not be able to turn around due to insufficient width and have to back out. A cow does have reverse, it just doesnt work well when you push it.

Plus a 2 spot horse trailer isnt very long, its not like it has to back out of a 25 foot trailer.

Have hauled lots of holstein cows in a 2 horse trailer. They have reverse so they will back up once they realize there is an opening behind them. We also took the center divider out but if you can't get it out, can you pull the pins in the back part and swing it over to the side so they have a wide inverted V to stand in it? Then they will not try to turn around as easily and will back out. If she is gentle as you say. I don't see any problem. Don't go to the trouble of a ramp. They actually will step down better than to walk on a ramp unless it is slip free.

Thank you everyone for your advice, I appreciate it, do you think it would be a good idea to remove the center bar that divides the entrance? I was going to weld a bar on each side so the entrance is one big area instead of split down the middle. What do you guys think? Thanks

The entrance is split down the middle and it's only about 30 inches wide, do you think she will fit through that space?

It might be a squeeze but she should fit. If she doesn;t you can remove it after you've tried. No sense in weakening the trailer structure if not required

Well that last picture is bad but you can tell he's big enough to look over in the manger area. Hes probably hanging on a hook by now.

Latest posts