Hard to catch mare

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I just got a new mare. She is 16 and well trained but was left to pasture for a couple of years before I got her and she is super hard to catch. I spent over 30 mins trying to corner her in a small pasture last saturday. Once I can get a hand on her she stands, but getting she cornered was hard since she would prance around, dash about, and bolt to the other end on the pasture. Once I get her caught she is fine. I tried to coax her with feed and she ain't having no part of that. I tried treats and she spit them out. Any ideas? Thanks!

If you have a small area or stall you can try conditioning her to accept you walking up to her - touch her breifly & walk away. Then work up to a rub or brush on her a little more each time she stands and again walk away. You can give her a handful of grain occasionally & walk away. It may take quite a long time but the more you convince her that every time you go up to her you are not just going to catch her to ride or for farrier etc she should learn to like the attention. Let me know if this helps at all! Good luck - those older ones are the hardest! I know I have one! He is 34. I forgot to tell you don't look her in the eye and don't stand directly facing her - turn your body a little so she doesn't think you are challenging her,

Don't lose patience with her. It sound like you would like to teach her better manners and to come to you instead of the "quick catch." I think treats are the path to another undesireable habit--getting mouthy. Sounds like the 2 of you need to have a horse-talk about manners and respect. If you don't have an extensive amount of horse experience and like to read, I think "From My Hands To Yours" by Monty Roberts is a great resource for striking up the conversation with her and gaining her cooperation.

I am working with a bit of a march-hare gelding right now and have seen great improvement. First we went to the round pen to give him some "want to" and now I use a lot of positive reinforcement to get the desired behavior. When he comes to me or stands to be approached, he gets a lot of "good boy" and stroking--not looking him in the eyes dead on or moving squarely towards him. (think subtle) When he doesn't allow the approach, I chase him off (being cautious and aware of myself and his safety i.e. watch those back legs and don't corner him in a place he might be injured) The idea is for this horse to want to be with you.

Be careful and good luck!

supportimage004.jpg

Pretty much agree with previous posts. Here is how I break one in.

1st get her to "hook on" in a round pen before moving to the pasture. Then in a small pasture:

1) Approach her from angle towards the front quarter, slowly. Never approach head on or to quickly
2) Don't look at her continously as you approach. Just a passing glance from time to time.
3) She will tell you with her body language how much pressure she is feeling from your increasing pressance. When you think she is about to move off (i.e. she thinks you are getting to close). STOP. Relax. Maybe turn away slightly like your paying her no-mind. When she relaxes, continue your approach.
4) At some point she will decide that's close enough and walk or trot away. When she does you should instantly shoo her away as if it was your idea for her to leave. Now the rules change
5) Move to intercept her, (i.e. cut her off)at a fast walk, don't run and DON'T follow behind her. But DO keep her feet moving. That is, if she stops you shoo her again. Do this 2 or 3 times. Then when she stops, go back to step one above and repeat the process.
6) Once she lets you approach her completely your shoud arrive at her neck. Give her soft, slow neck strokes and relax. Take a deep breath and exhale slowly so that she can hear you. Just stand there with her for maybe 2 minutes, then leave. Do this once in the morning and once in the evening.

She will soon learn that it is much easier and less stressful to be with you than not.

A couple of important notes here.
1) Never let her win the game. If you give up and walk away then she has won and you have just reinforced her run away behaviour. The first time or two you do this it may take an hour or so.
2) Look for her to drop her head low in step 5 when you let her stop moving her feet. This indicates she is more ready to listen to what you want.

You have gotten some very good advice and I agree with all of it, the important areas I want to reinforce is; you have got to be in a small area, round pen or corral, stall will work but you can't do as much in the stall. You have to bond with your horse and you have to be the lead horse. As dcara said don't lose to your horse, it will be much easier to lose to your horse in a large area. Again as dcara said, watch for lowering the head, other signs things are going well for both of you is chewing and/or licking the lips. This means your horse is okay with what's happening. Treats are a bad habit if given as a reward, my horses get treats in the bucket or on the ground but I never ask them to do anything for them. Usally I walk into the stall pet them and talk for a bit and drop a couple treats in the bucket on they way out, or drop some in just walking past. Idon't give treats on a regular basis, horses are creatures of habit, try feeding and hour late.

I use the Pat Parelli methods mixed in with some Cliton Anderson, Monty Roberts, and John Lyons, but mostly Parelli (who Cliton Anderson trained with) all are pretty much the same. But here is something to try it's worked for me in the past. This is a good method if you don't have a round pen. Go out to the pasture, with something to sit on (I wouldn't recommend the ground, you want to be able to move if you have to) just sit for 1/2 hr. Don't even look at your horse, completly ignore it. When it comes up to you, and it will, don't reach out, don't acknowledge it just ignore it (always keep yourself safe), if you have to push away the head (mouth) do it slowly and gently, don't scare the horse, after the half hour or so wait until it is close to you again, slowly get up lightly touch or rub, scratch it on the wethers, give it some attention and then slowly walk away, out the gate. It may take a couple of tries depending on the horse, but horses are too curious of animals not to come up to you. This should get you in the door with bonding to your horse if you don't have a round pen. As for horses and getting hurt, any horse any day, they are not dogs.

Have fun!
Alan