Hard spots on neck

Help Support CattleToday:

7lazy77

Reaction score
Several months ago I got a couple more horses. I recently noticed that both horses had developed hard spots on the top of their necks (up by the crest of their neck by the middle part of their mane). The spots are harder than a rock & the horses have that "stud? look from the middle part of their mane buldging out. Any ideas what this is from?

Are these geldings? Are you working them at all? Does the crest of the mane fall to one side or the other at the spot where the bumps are?

Both are mares. They don't get worked much, they are just the kids' horses. The crest isn't falling over, but it "rounds" the neck off on the center of the mane.

Something they can bump into while they're eating? What are you feeding?

I was feeding them free choice grass hay along with 8# alfalfa each (not free choice). I have 3 other horses (including a pony) that was on this feed ration, they never had an problems. The alfalfa was leafy, so I stopped feeding it when I started noticing these hard spots. I am now feeding oat hay with about 3# alfalfa pellets each. Could it be because these two new horses were probably on a different feed before I got them???

Interesting, are these Morgans or Fjords? What kind of weight are they? Are these mares related? Staring to wonder about fat deposits, hormones. Had a old Arab mare years ago that develped a cresty neck, just figured hormone imbalance, this same mare lactated even though never having a foal. Usually see this in over weight types.

One is a paint & the other is an appaloosa. They are not related. HOWEVER.....they have put on quite a bit of weight since I have had them. Preiviously, they were only on grass pasture. When I got them, they were put on free choice grass hay.

My opinion is that they are fat, these bumps are fat deposits. Of course I'm not a vet and you should have them checked out, but in my experience mares that get that cresty studdy neck are over weight. Like my sons quarter pony!

Latest posts