hard pull

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Had a heifer when I got home yesterday circling with pump handle tail. Herded her to chute pull 1.5 hrs finally got him on the ground took 4 of us with a puller. Alive , she was gimpy but fine this morning a had cleaned out. Got colustrum in him and separated them. Put him in this morning and she was ready to see him.
Put weight tape on him this morning it said 96# she'd weigh about 900-1000#

Glad you saved the calf, one pull like that is plenty for a few years.

He was up and about some today , pretty sure his hip is dislocated, it don't look right , gonna haul him to vet in the morning to get it checked. I hate to have that much sweat invested and him be gimpy. We shall see.

Vet said hip was fine. He was some sort of dysplasia with his leg being we was so big in a heifer felt a lot of it would straighten out on its own but would most likley still be bowlegged some. he gets around pretty good and stood the 25miles to vet in trailer.

Good deal, nice calf. Our heifer that we had to pull took almost 3 weeks to take the darn calf. Buddy and I were patient AND persistent, plus Ma got tired of being in the shoot for Buddy to nurse. All is good now, glad it is for you as well.

M-5":378wuprv said:
First one I've had to pull since 99. Knock on wood.

I have seen where a cow and bull are anomalies that just don't match through the years.
If she has a second behemoth and needs help she is a cull to me.
I one cow that raised some of the prettiest calves changed the bulls out hers and only hers went to crap.
Both registered same breed some mating is just not meant to be and divorce is the only option.

kucala5":1uhh1yc0 said:
Good deal, nice calf. Our heifer that we had to pull took almost 3 weeks to take the darn calf. Buddy and I were patient AND persistent, plus Ma got tired of being in the shoot for Buddy to nurse. All is good now, glad it is for you as well.
I did what I remembered my granddaddy doing. If she doesn't clean him up. Take him away for the night and put him back in the next day. It don't hurt to have curious dogs to make her instinct kick in.

an update on the bowlegged calf. He and his dam are doing great. If I were not looking for the bow legs you would not notice it. they are all most completely straight. I have been trying to get a pick but the little basterd is always facing me

Latest posts