hang time

Help Support CattleToday:

RebelCritter

Reaction score
Do you believe that the longer the meat is hung, the more tender it becomes? What is your preferred hang time? What would you consider to be the minimum hang time, maximum hang time?

Also, do you take them straight off the grass to the butcher? Or do you feed grains for a month or so beforehand?

One more, can you tell a difference in taste between a bull versus a steer versus a heifer?

14 min and 28 max days

done both, the grass fed seems to taste as good, but a little tougher, but that could be the individual animal and not the process

no

If I could make a graph then you would see maximum tenderness at the point of slaughter. Within 24 hours the carcass will be at maximum toughness. Then there is a gradual drop in the graph line back to tenderness which is almost complete by 14 days. The increase of tenderness from 14 to 21 days is minimal and beyond 21 days you have to begin cutting off spoilage. After 28 days you start getting green stuff.

So my answer is between 14 and 21 days. I usually let the abbatoir determine the day.

Steers are more marbled than bulls.

If that means anything to you. :?:

I don't have a pre-set number of days. I watch the "tenderloin", when it starts growing a few hairs........time to cut.

Bward is exactly right. Not many know about the 24 hour toughness.
Grain fed 90 days+
No difference between heifers & steers. Bull meat can get "stringy", so texture can be different, and yes, bulls will be leaner so won't grade as easily. Bulls under 15 months of age is supposed to be OK.

MikeC":1g4wb8v6 said:

I don't have a pre-set number of days. I watch the "tenderloin", when it starts growing a few hairs........time to cut.

could you expand a little here?

bward":1kmg1pul said:
If I could make a graph then you would see maximum tenderness at the point of slaughter. Within 24 hours the carcass will be at maximum toughness. Then there is a gradual drop in the graph line back to tenderness which is almost complete by 14 days. The increase of tenderness from 14 to 21 days is minimal and beyond 21 days you have to begin cutting off spoilage. After 28 days you start getting green stuff.

So my answer is between 14 and 21 days. I usually let the abbatoir determine the day.

We only hang for 14 days. We have talked to a lot of people regarding this. All the butchers in our area all say you are just waisting space after 14 days. We have not noticed any difference in 14 to 21 days. We have tried both but you have to keep in mind it is hard to gauge due to all animals being different and different surcumstances before slaughter.

RR

Aero":3690cp42 said:
MikeC":3690cp42 said:

A mold usually starts on the tenderloin where there is not so much fat to protect it. When it starts growing there it's time to cut.

Some will start to mold days earlier than others, I can only guess, because of different chemical compostions in the meat?

When I have a carcass hanging, I stop by every day, go in the cooler and check on it.

My old butcher who died years ago, explained to me that all animals do not age at the same rate because of fat cover, enzymatic activity, etc.

MikeC":1y3kr2p4 said:
Aero":1y3kr2p4 said:
MikeC":1y3kr2p4 said:

A mold usually starts on the tenderloin where there is not so much fat to protect it. When it starts growing there it's time to cut.

Some will start to mold days earlier than others, I can only guess, because of different chemical compostions in the meat?

When I have a carcass hanging, I stop by every day, go in the cooler and check on it.

My old butcher who died years ago, explained to me that all animals do not age at the same rate because of fat cover, enzymatic activity, etc.

Mike,

Is there an optimum temperature range that you like to age the meat?

Bret

MikeC":3phc087e said:
My old butcher who died years ago, explained to me that all animals do not age at the same rate because of enzymatic activity, etc.
The tenderness gene? A man ahead of his times.

Latest posts