Haltering and Leading

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
The weather was nice so I worked seventeen calves on halter yesterday. I also moved forward with their vaccination program. The system I use is worth its weight in gold for handling calves. My calves segregate from the cows in the sanctuary which is separated from the feed area by a vinyl covered cable. The calves go under but the cows will not. When they are all in the sanctuary, I shut the gate and run the calves into the Sweep where they are haltered. I can worm, vaccinate, treat, groom or what ever needs to be done while they are on halter.

These calves were born in September. To give you an example of what they have been treated with here is the treatment record for one of the calves.

8/27 Birth. Inforce 3. Intranasal
8/27 Birth. First Defense. Bolus
11/16 Worm, Valbazen. Oral Drench
11/20 Second Inforce 3. Intranasal
12/5 PulmoGuard PMH-1. Injectable Bacterin
12/21 Covexin 8. Injectable Bacterin/Toxoid. Includes tetani.
01/01 Worm, Valbazen. Oral Drench.
01/01 Fetal Protection. Titanium FP5 L5 HB.

Notice. I never vaccinate with more than one vaccine at a time to avoid overwhelming their immune system.

After they are on halter for about an hour, they are led back to the sanctuary and tied to a rail until they are ready for release.

This calf is a dream to lead. Some are just born to it. An Optimizer Heifer. I plan to keep her.

This bull calf is an Eagle. Nice blaze face. Very docile.

This is an Eagle Bull. Not a good picture. He was ready for release.

This is a Cowboy Cut heifer. I plan to keep her.

sstterry said:
I can see why you are so attached to your animals!

Yes, you can. This is all I do these days. In fact, it is somewhat of a fault because I don't do much other than "Shepard my flock". This is my passion and I am devoted to it. BUT, There has to be an exit strategy somewhere down the road. I am no longer young. I am beginning to feel the age closing in on me. It would be easy to sit in the recliner and watch old movies. I was tired by the time I got finished with these calves yesterday. One of these days, I will have to get the flock out. Lol

I cannot imagine haltering 17 calves at one time. More power to you!
Really and truly, you only have to worry about giving more than 2 gram negative shots at one time - from what I was taught.
Things may be different now, but I always give shots/worming at same time.
Calves look really good.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I cannot imagine haltering 17 calves at one time. More power to you!
Really and truly, you only have to worry about giving more than 2 gram negative shots at one time - from what I was taught.
Things may be different now, but I always give shots/worming at same time.
Calves look really good.

Thank you Jeanne. The calves are tense in those pictures. When they are standing haltered in the Sweep, they relax some but it is still new to them. When I lead them out to the sanctuary, they tense up.

I work the calves as often as I can. Usually works out to be about 3 times a week. It's easy getting them all haltered. I block off the alley, run them into the Sweep, swing the door shut and halter them. It still amazes me how well behaved they are. I rarely get kicked or battered.

Since I halter them so often, I just give one vaccine at a time. I agree, it is not necessary.

I would think the worst would be if they learn to anticipate shots when they're brought in and tied.
Our local vets have a policy of doing 'vaccination runs' around the district which I have always refused to let my calves participate in (because I want to vaccinate for clostridia and worm them far younger and for lepto far later). I've had vets tell me those days sometimes result in pretty sick calves that have been given a wormer and five or six different vaccinations all at once.

regolith said:
I would think the worst would be if they learn to anticipate shots when they're brought in and tied.
Our local vets have a policy of doing 'vaccination runs' around the district which I have always refused to let my calves participate in (because I want to vaccinate for clostridia and worm them far younger and for lepto far later). I've had vets tell me those days sometimes result in pretty sick calves that have been given a wormer and five or six different vaccinations all at once.

I think a couple do. But most don't seem to mind an SQ shot. Intramuscular bothers them more.

sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:
I think a couple do. But most don't seem to mind an SQ shot. Intramuscular bothers them more.

What are you giving Intramuscular?

Some of the Fetal Protection vaccines are administered IM. There are others.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
BR, what is that reddish tinged calf second from the bottom in your overhead picture? Wide topped and big square hip! I dig that one.

Thank you. I have not photographed this years calve's tied in the sweep. That is fall of 2018 calves. That calf is a Bull Calf Sired by Lock N Load 1143Y. You hit the nail! Good hip form is a strong trait of 1143Y. The other 1143Y from that group also has a beautiful hip form.

That calf really came on after he was weaned. He is a nice bull.

I'd love to see a video of your process! Isn't it a cramped struggle in the sweep putting the halters on? Or do they stand pretty still?

NonTypicalCPA said:
I'd love to see a video of your process! Isn't it a cramped struggle in the sweep putting the halters on? Or do they stand pretty still?

I purposely crowd them. That makes it easier. But there are always a couple that put their heads down and it is tricky. I prefer to move them until their head comes up. Bending down could be dangerous. Actually, i am very rarely kicked. Most just stand still especially after the first 2 or 3 times.

Latest posts