Halter Training?

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
OK, so if you remember i have the simmi heifer who is about 350 pounds now. we are trying to "gentle" her some, and it is going well. While she is in her stall i can feed her grain out of my hand and grab her halter and pritty much touch her all over. We are working on leading. I am only 120 pounds, and so i can pull her side to side but not forward. My Fiance is 240 pounds and strong so he can pull her anywhere he wants at this point, but pritty soon he wont be able to. What are your tricks to halter training? She was in a rope halter, but now she is just in a regular cow turnout halter. Should we use a chain?

Tie her to a post, and keep her there. Feed and water her at the post for the first couple of days. Then gradually increase the distance to feed and water about 15 ft. a day, and make her lead to get fed and watered.

I agree with warpaint. You make that calf think it is totaly dependent on you for survival. You are it's new momma.

Also, you cannot drag the calf, it will win every time. You should pull and release. Pull when she stops, release when she walks. You are leading the calf not pulling the calf.

You'll never win dragging the calf. What you want to do is put pressure on her nose by pulling the halter. She won't care for it, so she'll take a step forward to ease it. When she does, don't keep pulling. Give her at least a few seconds to enjoy it at first. You want to teach her that if she steps forward, the pressure stops.

The first step is to keep her tied enough that she stands with a slack halter rope. This shows that she realizes that pulling on the halter hurts.

If you put pressure on the halter she backs up. I was afraid to leave her tied because no one is at the barn during the day. How close should i tie her?

VtMapleGal":1qwjc8h5 said:
If you put pressure on the halter she backs up. I was afraid to leave her tied because no one is at the barn during the day. How close should i tie her?

Tie them close for the first few days and only about 30 min. a day. I but up plywood on the fence where I first start to break them. Keeps their legs from getting broke. How long to do every thing depends on the calf. When they have learned to be calm I will increase the length of the rope to about 18 in.
Try turning your back to her when you pull. If she has not eaten for a while she will learn to lead if she wants to eat. Get someone behind her and pop her on the butt a couple of times. Get a long lead rope on the calf. Put the feed next to you. Pull and release the rope. If the calf wants to back up when you pull, you must give it a reason not to. Start the calf off in a position were it cannot back up. Have someone next to the hip on the other side. When it tries to back they can twist their tail a little.

I dont think someone can stand next to her hind hip, she will kick, but we will give your ideas a try! Thanks for the help everyone!