halloween

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
main_image.jpg

bat_45.gif

Hope you all have a goul of a time tonight.

Taking the grandchildren to a church party. We don't get many kids coming to the house, living out in the sticks.

Another year without one single trick or treater! It was the only good thing about living in town.

Lammie":3hd47gpu said:
Another year without one single trick or treater! It was the only good thing about living in town.

We had 42 last night. If we'd been willing to go another 30 minutes to an hour we'd probably gotten up in the 60's, but that last 20 would have been what I call car-hoppers.

I really enjoy the neighborhood kids coming by and it's nice when old neighbors drop by with their new grandkids and you get a minute or two to do some quick catching up with each other.

The thing that irks me is when people (car-hoppers) who live 10 miles away drive out of their own neighborhood, past 5 other neighborhoods and come over to our neighborhood, let the kids out and ease the car along the street. Back when I was walking with the kids around the neighborhood I saw cars pull up to a house that was lit up, let the kids out to rush the house, then they rush back to the car, the car drives past the dark houses and stops at the next house that is lit up and the process was repeated. I bet they spend $5-$10 worth of gas so their kids can score that 15 cent piece of candy.

Oh well, I guess you get to take the bad with the good.

You are so lucky to have that kind of neighborly thing going on where you are. When I was a kid and we lived way out, we would go to our neighbor's places and visit with them so that they could see our costumes. They usually set aside special treats for the kids they knew. It was like going to grandma's house. My kids did the same thing when we first moved to Cleburne. We lived on a cul-de-sac with mostly elderly folks and they would always have extra special treats for my sons. I took my younger son back there several years ago and he was immediately recognized and given a special treat. It was like they had been waiting for us to show up. I sent my older son there for a visit a few days later and they were all really excited to see him, too.

I lived in an apartment once and it was non stop trick or treaters from after school till I shut off the lights. Older kids mostly and none of them supervised. It was a little intimidating at times.

When I was a kid we went all over town on foot and no one ever thought anything of it. I guess that was a different time. We'd have tired feet by the time we made it back.

Lammie":2kw5sh84 said:
When I was a kid we went all over town on foot

You sound like my daughter. She knew about every kid within a quarter mile of the house and a bunch outside that range. When the Halloween weather was in the 70's I'd be wringing wet by the time we got back to the house because she traveled fast. She'd invite school kids over to go with her and just wear them out with all of the fast walking and running between houses. It was a lot of fun. Wife thought she had the better deal staying in and handing out candy and I thought I had the better deal getting to see daughter and her friends in action. Towards the end of her trick or treating years she'd carry a pillow case because the sack would begin to tear since it was getting so heavy and she didn't want to lose any time having to come back to the house for a new bag.

We don't get any either - but I was out planting oats till about 9pm, so if they would have came I wouldn't have known it anyway. No one dressed up at work this year either....