Half-Starved Gifts

Help Support CattleToday:

knowknews

Reaction score
I was told by a friend that a fella couldn't take care of his horse and pony anymore. We offered to take them and a week later, here they are. The big guy is an 8yr old Thoroughbred. The pony is half qtr horse and a 3yr old stallion. :( I guess the guy had big ideas but never worked with the pony. I have a huge bruse on my arm from his bite to prove it. He's lined me up several times and has bit my goat on the back and hurt the cow cause she made an awful noise.

The last two are after his bath...we found a white sock. :roll: They were quite a mess. Looking much better but I have to take another picture of him. He lunges good. I know there is a lot of work to do with both to get them riding material. So far haven't found anything on the internet on how to break or train the pony. I have found quite a bit on the thoroughbred retraining. He must not have been very fast because he came in first place 2 out of 22 times. But he is a real sweetheart and very smart!!! It's been a week today that we got them.

RodeoTricky.jpg
Tricky1stday.jpg
Tricky1stdayB.jpg
Trickyday2.jpg
RodeoTricky.jpg
Tricky2ndday.jpg
Ifoundthisafterhisbath.jpg
[/img]

The first thing you should do for the pony is to administer a de-testicle-ectomy. His attitude will improve considerably.

3waycross":32sc0jay said:
The first thing you should do for the pony is to administer a de-testicle-ectomy. His attitude will improve considerably.

That's too funny ---> de-testicle-ectomy. The little stinker is cute and hopefully will become a good pony for the grandkids or perhaps pull a little cart. I was told it is best to wait until after the fly season like late fall. When it cools off and there are little to no flys to attack the wound. (although I wish there was some kind of glue or "skin" you could paint/spray on it to protect it and heal)

Q. Do you think we should do it now?? Also, how much time would you give a horse to adjust to a new place? Thank you for your post.

That's really a question for your Vet. But I agree on the flys. I would sure watch him around the kids. Most ponies have some real ahole tendencies.

BTW Good on ya for adopting those two.

Hmph! :shock: They took that pic off. It was just a pic of the bay like the full view of his side; only it was from the head almost to his back leg....a closer up. I don't know what is such a violation -- minus the fact that he looks starved.

I fear with the economy the way it is, there will be a lot more free horses given away in similar or worse condition. This is such a sad situation. I felt sad for the guy, he was crying when we got there and when we left. I offered for him to come visit but hasn't yet taken the hour+ drive over here to see them.

Poor things.

Are you saying that you have no experience with horses and have taken on a stallion and a thoroughbred?

If so, I would say get help now, or maybe look at finding them another home. JMHO. But both are not really horses for a first horse owner. JMHO.

Whether or not you keep them is up to you, but I would strongly encourage you to keep your grandkids away from any pony, testicles or no. If you want a horse for your kids, get a full size horse, even a small one, but never a pony. I understand the temptation, but ponys are dangerous and unpredictable.

nevermind just showed my horses to ya. never claimed to be an expert nor asked for help. later all.

knowknews":2vhsus36 said:
never asked for help. later all.
Q. Do you think we should do it now?? Also, how much time would you give a horse to adjust to a new place?
Just thinking about your little ones kk. Ponies are cute and tons of fun till they lift the skull cap off your grand baby with their back feet. Thats not so much fun. Your horses, your babies, your choice.

I guess the proper question then should have been worded "why do you think I should do it now?" I really do plan on waiting until the fly season is over or until late fall....(a part you forgot to quote). Did I get on and ask for help with these horses? I was making conversation.

Yes these are MY first horses. If that makes me sound like some a-hole that would stick inexperienced kids on an untested pony and walk away, well I guess I should read up on how to post on a message board while I'm reading up on how to feed a horse. Geezohman! They were half starved I took them so they could have a chance. AND just imagine that I can actually feed them hay and water them all by myself, without a class on it. Grass and timothy hay not alfalfa. Besides, I was talking about the post that makes me sound even "stupid-er" then you must think me.

Suzie Q":3s8v5wgc said:
Poor things.

Are you saying that you have no experience with horses and have taken on a stallion and a thoroughbred?

If so, I would say get help now, or maybe look at finding them another home. JMHO. But both are not really horses for a first horse owner. JMHO.

BTW I never had a calf/cow or goats either, and they are just fine, but I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Lucky-me Lucky-me.

That is not why I posted it.

I posted poor things because they have been starved and you are a good hearted person to have saved them. Good on you.

The rest of my post was because for your first horses you have chosen a t/bred and a stallion. I am not saying impossible for a horse time owner, but a long hard trail for you. I don't want to see you or your family harmed.

There is a saying. "It is one thing to have a fat t/bred in your paddock. It is your own fault if you can not ride it."

A thoroughbred, along with an Arab is in a category called 'hot blood'. They are generally not good for first time horse owners. Stallions of course are not good for a first time horse owner and good on you for getting him gelded, but he is not just a stallion at the moment but a problem stallion, probably already owned by a first time stallion owner JMHO.

Another saying is "it is easier to train a horse than it is to untrain a horse". It is your first time. You don't know what you don't know and you already have a problem horse. You will have to untrain him and that is harder. No I am not saying go and get an untrained horse, but much better for you to get a quiet, been there done that, already trained, warm blooded horse and again that is JMHO.

I am not trying to keep the horses safe. My post was to keep you safe. My concern was for you not for the horses.

I have just picked up a rescue t/bred. Owned by two girls who rode him with whips and spurs and then bought a new horse and stopped feeding this one.

Poor thing. He is skinny. I have started feeding him, but did get on him yesterday as well, so as he doesn't get fat and then I get on him when he is 'feeling good and ready to play".

I also have a starved bull in my yard. That would have broken your heart. The poor thing tried to kill himself to get through the rails of the yard to get to the bale of hay I was taking the baling twine off. 2 weeks later on unlimited grassy hay and grow and show pellets and he is looking much better. If this rain stops I will be letting him out with a couple of my cows for company, and wean their calves.

As I said the road you are heading down is not impossible, but could be fraught with injuries that could last your lifetime and I wish to keep you safe.

If you decide to keep them you will need a riding instructor. JMHO. It is better to get one sooner rather than later. Yes expensive, but think of how much your life is worth. JMHO.

Suzie Q":2884yz2c said:
A thoroughbred, along with an Arab is in a category called 'hot blood'. They are generally not good for first time horse owners.

Why does everyone pick on Arabs!!!??? Thoroughbreds are bred strictly to be fast. That they are, but they are also known for poor feet and a poorer temperment. Arabians are neither. Arabians are "different" than most other breeds. You may "break" a Quarter Horse, but will never "break" an Arabian. You can, however, train an Arabian. That trained Arabian can be one of the most loyal, willing to serve breeds out there.

Sorry for the rant Suzie, but Arabians don't get their due.

I never said there was anything wrong with throroughbreds or Arabs. Both are very quiet and easy to train.....preferably if you know what you are doing.

They are classed as hot bloods, this means they react quicker. They don't like having legs in the wrong place, bits pulled in their mouth, etc,etc. All horses don't, but hot bloods will react more quickly than say a clydestale. I am not saying a clydestable will not react either.

Just that it takes time for a human to learn how to ride a horse. Much longer than it takes for a horse to be broken in to a rider, so it is just generally a good rule not to get those two as your first horse. Generally does not mean always. Every horse is unique.

Honestly, if the pony has already intentionally hurt you, I would ship him ASAP. Even gelding him may not improve his attitude.
I know that you did not ask for training advice. However, you can't teach something you don't know and you can't learn how to train a horse from books.

Talk to you vet and see if he/she can recommend a trainer to evaluate the horses and see if they can become what you want them to be.
You can end up spending a lot of money and still not have an equine that you can enjoy or is safe to be around.

Also, once a horse gets used to it's surroundings and gets in better health, it's true disposition will really show. If the pony is bad now, he will be even worse when he gains weight and gets confident in his new home.

I am a mom of 5 and a grandmother. I had horses a long time before I had kids. I can honestly tell you, that if I had any equine that did what that pony did, it would find wheels under it. A child's welfare (and mine) are worth more than an ill mannered stallion. gelding or mare.

Good luck and stay safe.

ETA: You can ask most any horse person, the free horses usually end up being the most expensive in the long run. That is sort of a standing joke in the horse industry.

We can only hope it is because we did not coo and cuddle over her pics instead of telling her what she did not want to hear and is not because she is lying in Hospital or worse from an equine that had already tried to hurt her.

I cerntainly wish that everything worked out and she is still happy and healthy.

Latest posts