Half azz employees

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I have been out of the work force for 15 years , the employee situation was changing for the worse then, now when I talk to any supervisor or company owner they say nobody wants to work, do a terrible job etc. If they fire them , it is impossible to find a replacement, so they just keep the same old half azz employees. Is it like that where you are.

Cowboy I know what you're saying but think it's still more of an individual thing. Still a lot of good folks out there that are proud of the work they do and they have work backed up trying to work there way through it. The others.....we'll they're basically the do nothings sitting around bytching about there ain't nothing to do. Those we will always have.

Finding good people is always hard. Sometimes it is easier to keep the same crap employee so you don't have to re train. But everyone is replaceable, everyone

No employer wants to pay the good employees what they are worth and unions won't let the useless be paid less. My cousin was offered office administrator job at local gold mine a few years ago, they offered $30/hour, same as everyone else. She is a perfectionist and knows her stuff working in solar and oil companies. The rest of the staff were unreliable at best. She told them $46/hour and phone me when you want me to start. HR laughed her out of the building and then phoned her a couple days later.

You want to best employees, you pay more than anyone else. And those who don't work you send down the road. Plain and simple.

Dave said:
You want to best employees, you pay more than anyone else. And those who don't work you send down the road. Plain and simple.

I agree 100%. But it's not foolproof. And it's not sustainable in every situation.

I'm a construction contractor. I tried that. My help was making money but I wasn't. Increased prices to absorb added expenses. Almost priced myself out of work. Market wouldn't support it. Not here anyway. Another crew will come in and work cheaper. Never mind that they do a half azz job. They have the check and are gone before the problem shows up two years down the road. I have a regular crew of 4 head. And use 40(+) subcontractors. I made more money with many less headaches when it was myself and a helper. Pretty sure I'm going back to that scenario when I complete my current obligations. Too much red tape, regulation, insurance requirements, workers compensation, etc. comes with the larger jobs. I'm going back to the little stuff everyone around here thinks is beneath them. I used to want to be the big fish. But everyone wants to catch the big fish!

Be careful as the sorriest man in the crew may become your boss as I have seen this happen. They are to sorry to work, but will jump all over the bosses job openings and get it. No fun working for them either.

Working in governement jobs you have to screw up big time to get shown the door. Usually the best way to get rid of them is when they apply for another job give them a good recommendation. I have seen this happen many times as I have done it. It was good riddance.

Dave said:

In this day and age it's almost impossible to fire someone for being crappy at their job. It's fuelled by wrongful dismissal cases

cowgal604 said:
Dave said:

In this day and age it's almost impossible to fire someone for being crappy at their job. It's fuelled by wrongful dismissal cases
It is probably because I worked in the woods for years. You run or you are gone, period. No warnings, no explanations. We don't need you any more. End of discussion. I worked for a guy one winter who had a dozen fallers working for him. Every week he fired the slowest guy. Often it was the newest guy but sometimes it wasn't.

Latest posts