Hair sheep

Help Support CattleToday:

You don't have to shear hair sheep
The fit very well in areas cattle don't. Brushy weedy pastures suit then just fine. The browse more like goats than wool sheep. Predation is a big deal , and in a big pasture with alot of sheep dogs and donkeys don't do much good. The sheep can be easily trained to come in at night , and that's what we did. Penning them in a acre pen every night. We also kept fence snares and m44 cyanide guns down at all times. As far as marketing. We took them to the sheep/goat auction in goldthwaite. Just like a cattle auction , complete with order buyers. ...they made money but if I was getting back in I would go with Boer/ Spanish x goats , their constantly worth more.

T & B farms said:
wbvs58 said:
I assume you are going to harvest the hair. Are shearers readily available to come and shear for you. A shearing shed and balepress would be required and where do you sell to? I imagine coyotes would go through them pretty well, might need some exclusion fencing.

Ken

I guess I was under the impression you didn't have to shear them.

You are correct. I raise them and sell them. If you have questions I will help you out the best I can

callmefence said:
You don't have to shear hair sheep
The fit very well in areas cattle don't. Brushy weedy pastures suit then just fine. The browse more like goats than wool sheep. Predation is a big deal , and in a big pasture with alot of sheep dogs and donkeys don't do much good. The sheep can be easily trained to come in at night , and that's what we did. Penning them in a acre pen every night. We also kept fence snares and m44 cyanide guns down at all times. As far as marketing. We took them to the sheep/goat auction in goldthwaite. Just like a cattle auction , complete with order buyers. ...they made money but if I was getting back in I would go with Boer/ Spanish x goats , their constantly worth more.

I cant keep enough boers on hand.

Very good info posted here. Thanks a lot!
Now I'm researching boer goats. I haven't gotten in the house before 10 in a week, so I sure need some goats to care for :lol:

Just about everything was answered, but I'll add a touch more from my limited experience.

1. They do make money for me, not counting my time. The ethnic market has worked well.
2. I've never had a mean ram, but also have never had one older than 18 months.
3. I've had no problems keeping them on small pastures with two strands of electric poly wire.
4. If wild dog packs are rampant in your area I wouldn't mess with them.
5. I've had some really good lamb from my Katahdins (this is saying a lot, because in general I hate lamb meat). The butcher tried getting me to raise more for a high end restaurant and I've had a lot of repeat buyers and good feedback. Still not worth the hassle for me to expand timewise.
6. No matter what breed I'm pretty sure sheep are all dumb.
7. Better have some real good fences and a lot of patience for goats!

Hair sheep are quite popular down here, but I'm from out West originally, so I am familiar with wool breeds. Hair sheep are raised for meat only. We raise St. Augustine hair sheep, which was developed from St. Croix, Katahdin, and Dorper. Tiny breed started in Florida. For your winters, however, either wool sheep or hardy hair sheep with a good barn to keep wind and snow off. Hair sheep were really developed for warmer, humid climates. The only one that might do well in Kansas is the Katahdin. You would need some good barns for them, but they are probably the most cold hardy of the meat breeds. Your meat sheep clubs should be able to find you a Katahdin breeder, if there is one. Try your extension agent to see what the locals are breeding.

If you find only wool sheep breeders in your area, you should also have shearers. These are groups of people who you either bring your sheep to, or they come to your farm and shear for you. They charge, but it's seasonal work and seasonal wages. Wool prices are pretty rotten right now, so you'll need something with a good carcass weight or a cross that your can sell for meat. Contact your sheep clubs and find out when they come through. Then, you can get wool sheep without fear of shearing yourself. I have done it by hand. It sucks. My old school mascot at Colorado State was the Rambouillet sheep. Very tough wool breed. They hair on their bellies and legs and can withstand really bad temperatures with a wind break.

Whatever breed you get, sheep are shorter than cattle (duh!) which means they get stranded in deep snow. You'll need a place to get them in when the snow is too deep. It seems obvious but people don't think about it until their poor sheep get stranded and buried.

Those livestock guardian dogs are incredible. You feed the puppy in the sheep barn with the lambs and raise him up with the flock. Bring them food daily when you check your flock. I think two is better than one in coyote areas (which seems to be everywhere) because a group of coyotes can be very clever at distracting one dog. That's pretty much it.

Latest posts