Hair sheep

Help Support CattleToday:

T & B farms

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of getting some hair sheep. I would plan on starting very small to test it out. To be honest I don't know a thing about them.

Little background on what I do. I farm and ranch full time, so Free time is not in abundance.

My question would be how much extra labor would the sheep involve? Would a bunch of extra equipment and facility's be needed? How big of a deal is predation on them? We have a large coyote population. Can they handle harsh weather? We have hot, humid summers, and cold winters here in Kansas.

I have done a little research on marketing of the sheep, but haven't really found much on that. I would probably eventually try to go for the seedstock/replacement market like I do on the cattle side.

I have been to a few meetings that explain how well sheep work in with cattle on an intensive grazing situation. That is what got my wheels turning.

I'm looking for any kind of advice, suggestions, and thoughts.
If this is the dumbest idea you have ever heard, tell me.

Any info is much appreciated

I assume you are going to harvest the hair. Are shearers readily available to come and shear for you. A shearing shed and balepress would be required and where do you sell to? I imagine coyotes would go through them pretty well, might need some exclusion fencing.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I assume you are going to harvest the hair. Are shearers readily available to come and shear for you. A shearing shed and balepress would be required and where do you sell to? I imagine coyotes would go through them pretty well, might need some exclusion fencing.

Ken

I guess I was under the impression you didn't have to shear them.

T & B farms said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

Are you thinking about Boer Goats?

I've followed Greg Judy's "stuff". It all obviously works for him. Sheep is part of his rotation. You talking about doing something like that?

Callmefence used to raise some of those boogers if memory serves me right. Get him in on this and I betcha he can give you some good information

Bigfoot said:
I've followed Greg Judy's "stuff". It all obviously works for him. Sheep is part of his rotation. You talking about doing something like that?

Yes that's where I'm getting the idea. I'm concerned it may be more time consuming than I am expecting. I have a few herds that I rotate every other day. But some larger herds are just on continuous graze.
I never would have guessed fence to be a sheep guy. I hope he chimes in

TennesseeTuxedo said:
T & B farms said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

I honestly thought the purpose of hair sheep was so you didn't have to shear them. Tells you how much I know about them.

T & B farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
T & B farms said:

I honestly thought the purpose of hair sheep was so you didn't have to shear them. Tells you how much I know about them.

I know less.

You don't sheer hair sheep.

There is not much added equipment needed, except something more than 4 strands of barb wire. That might hold them. They don't really test fences.

You will need a couple of guardian dogs if you have coyotes or bob cats, etc.

They do require shots. They are prone to parasites, especially in humid summer weather.

T & B farms said:
Bigfoot said:

Yes that's where I'm getting the idea. I'm concerned it may be more time consuming than I am expecting. I have a few herds that I rotate every other day. But some larger herds are just on continuous graze.

I've read his stuff, and seen most of his videos. Works quit well for him. Wouldn't work at all for me. His cows also aren't that big. I believe I read his mature bulls are only 1000 pounds. His approach is interesting, and he's the king of growing grass, and reducing inputs. I'd personally rather make hay than constantly move cows. I'd also rather spray than run sheep.

T & B farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
T & B farms said:

I get you. You are after the ones that shed their coat. They eat well. The dogs would be your only problem then and fences to keep them in.

Ken

B-i-l raises them here in E Texas. I guess he has a couple dozen mature females and a couple of rams. Katahdin and Dorpers.
No shearing required, but they still smell awful.
He fenced his place with no-climb horse wire from TSC..had it done actually.
He deals with predators with a rifle not a dog.
Like everyone else around here, he doesn't believe in running predators off his place and on to some one else's place.
I'm the same way.
Tis a sorry herdsman that wants to turn his problems into someone else's problem.

greybeard said:
B-i-l raises them here in E Texas. I guess he has a couple dozen mature females and a couple of rams. Katahdin and Dorpers.
No shearing required, but they still smell awful.
He fenced his place with no-climb horse wire from TSC..had it done actually.
He deals with predators with a rifle not a dog.
Like everyone else around here, he doesn't believe in running predators off his place and on to some one else's place.
I'm the same way.
Tis a sorry herdsman that wants to turn his problems into someone else's problem.

Man I agree cause it's always practical to think you can watch the flock 24-7.

Bigfoot said:
T & B farms said:
Bigfoot said:

I've read his stuff, and seen most of his videos. Works quit well for him. Wouldn't work at all for me. His cows also aren't that big. I believe I read his mature bulls are only 1000 pounds. His approach is interesting, and he's the king of growing grass, and reducing inputs. I'd personally rather make hay than constantly move cows. I'd also rather spray than run sheep.

Just think,the size of the bull he could have, if he got rid of those dang sheep..

I've had about a dozen for 4 years now (Katahdins). Thought I wanted Dorpers, but kept hearing about too many parasite issues. No shearing required and they'll forage like goats if you have brushy areas. Very low maintenance - about all I really do is trim their hooves once a year. No wormers, shearing and don't even have to dock their tails. They need shelter and a good clean place to lamb depending on when you want to lamb. Most of mine are sold for meat off the farm or breeding stock. USDA will want you to have some special ear tags. The bad - they smell like sheep.

Beefeater said:
I've had about a dozen for 4 years now (Katahdins). Thought I wanted Dorpers, but kept hearing about too many parasite issues. No shearing required and they'll forage like goats if you have brushy areas. Very low maintenance - about all I really do is trim their hooves once a year. No wormers, shearing and don't even have to dock their tails. They need shelter and a good clean place to lamb depending on when you want to lamb. Most of mine are sold for meat off the farm or breeding stock. USDA will want you to have some special ear tags. The bad - they smell like sheep.

Thank you to everyone for the reply's.

How do they handle the cold weather? Will they need to be put inside when it gets in the teens with wind/snow?
Can you feed them regular good quality cow hay in the winter?

How big of an issue have you found predation to be? I really don't want to mess with a stock dog if I'm only going to have a handful.

I was hoping they could be easily ai like cow, but after watching a few videos that's not the case. A ram will be a must have.

This question is pretty snooty, and feel free to ignore it if you would like. Have you been able to make a profit on them?
I have not been able to find a meat market for them locally yet.

My neighbor has a few hair sheep.. Yes, predators can be a problem, they handle the cold fine, a place out of the wind/rain is good though.. For hay, they will need better hay than cows, neighbor always gets my 2nd cut which is about 70% alfalfa and they do well on it.
Rams... well.. If you've been around bulls, you know most of them are alright most of the time.. Not rams, Most are arseholes most of the time!
Fencing.. they have paige wire.. don't know what's best though... However, to save yourself major headaches, get yourself WELL set up before getting them (just like any animal) and you'll save yourself a lot of stress.

T & B farms said:
Beefeater said:

Thank you to everyone for the reply's.

How do they handle the cold weather? Will they need to be put inside when it gets in the teens with wind/snow? Don't lamb in cold weather unless you have facilities, wind belts, ...
Can you feed them regular good quality cow hay in the winter? Yes

How big of an issue have you found predation to be? I really don't want to mess with a stock dog if I'm only going to have a handful. Big without protection: dogs or donkeys

I was hoping they could be easily ai like cow, but after watching a few videos that's not the case. A ram will be a must have. You are right. The next post about bad rams is not 100% for all breeds. We have no ram problems.

This question is pretty snooty, and feel free to ignore it if you would like. Have you been able to make a profit on them?
I have not been able to find a meat market for them locally yet.With sheep, you often make your market: find a butcher, find a restaurant, find an ethnic buyer(s). We have 130+ St. Croix and do not worm, do not trim feet, pasture lamb, run with donkeys, sometimes vaccinate for CDT and sometimes do not and are in SC with as much heat and humidity as we need to kill most sheep with parasites. They do need minerals without copper or with less copper unless you are in an area with copper deficient soils.

Latest posts