hair loss problem around eye of heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

ok_cntrygrl7

Reaction score
I have a heifer,(black) jersey angus mix.will be a year old in may. Since being turned out in the pasture with 2 older cows, I noticed she has a dried, hairless area around one of her eyes. The patch is about 2/3 the way around her eye, it's about 2inches wide from the top of her eye and narrowing as it goes around the outside of her eye to just under the eye.
I have also noticed my 2 other heifers with a round spot on their back leg about 2 or 3 inches up from the hoof, and 1 of them has signs of hair loss around one of its eyes. she is a (black) jersey angus mix be a year in June. The othe heifer is also a jersey angus mix a year in june also, but is brown in color. She is not yet showing any signs of hair loss around the eye. The 2 of these are in a smaller area by themselves.
During the ice storm both (black) heifers got sickly, not eating runny nose and eyes, laying around, we gave them a dose of LA-200. They perked up and was ok. Any suggestions as what this could be and how to treat it? I have treated ringworms before on cows but if this is a ringworm I never treated any thing around the eye before.
I have recently put a salt and mineral lick in the pasture for the first heifer and 2 big cows. Thanks for any advice.
ok_cntrygrl7

Ringworm

Fever

Mite infestation

Also (for the legs), if they've been standing in a lot of mud mixed with their own "stuff"... and it stuck in big clods, that sometimes results in the loss of hair.

...all come to mind, when's the last time they've been hit with a dewormer (pour-on or injectable)?

[edited for an extremely bad typo]

There in a good size pasture, so I don't think its from their poop. They were last wormed at 3 months..whatever the injection medicine said on it. Haven't got to them to do it again, Like u said to wet. An old farmer here told me to take bacon grease and mix it with some salt and smear it all over the infected areas for a few days. I remember my dad doing something like that to a holstein when I was young. I guess it smothers it and kills it....but it's raining here, again.
ok_cntrygrl7

ok_cntrygrl7":3l3zzajs said:
There in a good size pasture, so I don't think its from their poop. They were last wormed at 3 months..whatever the injection medicine said on it. Haven't got to them to do it again, Like u said to wet. An old farmer here told me to take bacon grease and mix it with some salt and smear it all over the infected areas for a few days. I remember my dad doing something like that to a holstein when I was young. I guess it smothers it and kills it....but it's raining here, again.
ok_cntrygrl7

Any kind of antifungal would work but you need to be careful around the eyes. Most likely if you let it resolve itself it would go away when the start getting a lot os sunny days. and dry out some

I was looking through the post, just reading and bjandtheduke in march posted pics of calves, topic "warts or what". It is exactly like the way my heifers look. Suggested remedies were monastat 7 or athletes foot ointment and 1:8 sulfate something, I'll have to write it down. Thanks for all your help, I'll try one of these and we are going to worm when it dries up. Hubby said he wormed the older cows but not the young ones yet.
ok_cntrygrl7

You're not all that far from me; your climate is similar. I've got several in that condition this year and they have been very well cared for. There was only one like that before worming. Now there are probably 10. They were all hanging together tight eating hay most of the winter. It was very wet. It seems to be a problem with mine on wet years.

Most are better now. Fungus spreading is worse when they hang together around bales of hay.

Latest posts