Guthrie Ky. salebarn

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I didn't know where else to post this so I put it here because most people read this forum.

I'm thinking of taking my 7 heifers to Guthrie Ky. sale barn Thursday. I've never taken any cattle to a sale barn and wanted to know exactly how it works. I think they weigh them when they come off my trailer at Guthrie but that's about all I know.

1. Do they sale them as one group or place them with others that are close to the same weight? (heaviest is around 870 lbs. lightest about 650 lbs.)

2. What is the commission I will be charged?

3. Anyone know what time I need to be there?

I've had them 77 days on grass only and they have gained decent I think at an avg. of about 2.2 lbs. a day. When I bought them they avg. 594 lbs. for the 7 of them and I paid 1.05 for them. They now avg. about 760 lbs. and all I've done is put them to pasture for those 77 days. If I can make enough to buy new tires for my truck I might go ahead and take them. I know it's a gamble, is it a bad time to take them right after a holiday?

tncattle":2v99jj7v said:
I didn't know where else to post this so I put it here because most people read this forum.

I'm thinking of taking my 7 heifers to Guthrie Ky. sale barn Thursday. I've never taken any cattle to a sale barn and wanted to know exactly how it works. I think they weigh them when they come off my trailer at Guthrie but that's about all I know.

1. Do they sale them as one group or place them with others that are close to the same weight? (heaviest is around 870 lbs. lightest about 650 lbs.)

2. What is the commission I will be charged?

3. Anyone know what time I need to be there?

I've had them 77 days on grass only and they have gained decent I think at an avg. of about 2.2 lbs. a day. When I bought them they avg. 594 lbs. for the 7 of them and I paid 1.05 for them. They now avg. about 760 lbs. and all I've done is put them to pasture for those 77 days. If I can make enough to buy new tire for my truck I might go ahead and take them. I know it's a gamble, is it a bad time to take them right after a holiday?

1. They grade them and put them with similar calves unless you got a good group of your own but with 7 they will be graded and penned accordingly. Unless of course they don't grade.

2. 3%, plus $2 head charge and $1 checkoff fee.

3. Be there by 12:00 and you should be ok. They weigh shortly after coming off the trailer unless you take them Wed. and leave overnight, then they start weighing about 4:00 in the morning.

Your guess is as good as anybodies on what the sale will be like after a holiday.

tncattle":2psjyrgo said:
Is it 3% on the total I make and $1 checkoff for each animal?
$500 calf would cost you $3.00 plus 3% or $15.00. For a total of $18.00

I sold four steers Tuesday at the Pulaski Co. stockyard. Best money I've gotten in three or four years. About $200/head higher than last year on 6 weights.

tom4018":20ew0lpj said:
Did you take them?
I hauled a load there and stayed around for the sale.

Then you probably saw me, I had my 6 yr. (girl) and 4 yr. (boy) with me. We sat down front in those padded seats for a good while and then hung around in the office for the check. I didn't bring my 2 yr. old and pregnant wife as I didn't think they would make it. We didn't get there until about 10:10 am and waited in line for almost an hour to unload. I was pleased with the prices. It took about an hour to get there from where I'm at.

tncattle":3da27d7q said:
tom4018":3da27d7q said:
Did you take them?

Then you probably saw me, I had my 6 yr. (girl) and 4 yr. (boy) with me. We sat down front in those padded seats for a good while and then hung around in the office for the check. I didn't bring my 2 yr. old and pregnant wife as I didn't think they would make it. We didn't get there until about 10:10 am and waited in line for almost an hour to unload. I was pleased with the prices. It took about an hour to get there from where I'm at.

Any chance you would share with us what they brought.?

Sorry, forgot to post that part. One heifer weighed 860 lbs. and she brought 90.25 cents and the others avg. 665 and brought 104.25-- I made $ and was happy. But I got to make lasting memories with my 6 and 4 yr. old as they went along and that is priceless. :heart:

those memories are priceless an they make it worth while.my oldest nephew is 24.an he loves to still go to the sale barn.ive had to go with him to the sale barn twice this summer.

tncattle":1dxlmuce said:
tom4018":1dxlmuce said:
Did you take them?

Where you the one that picked your little girl up to get a drink out of the water cooler?

3waycross":2srvivld said:
tncattle":2srvivld said:
tom4018":2srvivld said:
Did you take them?

Any chance you would share with us what they brought.?
OF the ones I took:
555 lb. mixed heifers $1.03
550 black heifers $1.10
600 Char cross bull $1.08
615 Red heifer $.98
470 Black baldy steer $1.19

tom4018":15nbc82v said:
tncattle":15nbc82v said:
tom4018":15nbc82v said:
Did you take them?

Where you the one that picked your little girl up to get a drink out of the water cooler?

Yep, that was me. I probably kept them there to long as we waited for the check and didn't get it until about 5 pm We left our place at 7 am so it was a long day for them.

tncattle":3r9n021v said:
Yep, that was me. I probably kept them there to long as we waited for the check and didn't get it until about 5 pm We left our place at 7 am so it was a long day for them.
I was the guy with a white t-shirt, jeans and a blue and white CPC cap on. I said something to you as I was standing there by the cooler when you picked your girl up to get a drink. Wish we could have talked. Heard you talking to the lady at the barn about taking the kids down the catwalk.

What was you driving? What were the calves? The was someone in front of me that had never been there before, all black calves with orange ear tags with the fish symbol on them. On second thought, I probably did not get there until after 11:00 so it was probably not you in front of me. It takes me about an hour to get there, 48 miles one way from where we are. Were you happy with the results?

I remember you at the water fountain but if I saw you right now I'm not sure I would know it. I was driving a silver 2004 Dodge 2500 with a 24 ft. green open livestock trailer. I never have figured out what exactly they call those kinds of trailers where it looks like the cattle are in jail. I had 7 heifers, 4 were solid black, 2 were baldies and 1 Hereford. They all had orange ear tags in each ear and they were just fly control tags but with no fish symbol that I remember.

tncattle":oe06lruj said:
I remember you at the water fountain but if I saw you right now I'm not sure I would know it. I was driving a silver 2004 Dodge 2500 with a 24 ft. green open livestock trailer. I never have figured out what exactly they call those kinds of trailers where it looks like the cattle are in jail. I had 7 heifers, 4 were solid black, 2 were baldies and 1 Hereford. They all had orange ear tags in each ear and they were just fly control tags but with no fish symbol that I remember.
We call them bar top trailers around here

Angus Cowman":97b11uzp said:
tncattle":97b11uzp said:
We call them bar top trailers around here

That sounds about right for the name, it has a canvas top on it. Maybe I'm wrong but they seem better type trailers in the hot summer heat because of the ventilation. Those nice new aluminum trailers look awful hot but I could be wrong.

tncattle":16s4gv91 said:
The trailer in front of me was red, I am sure it was 11:30 or so when I got there, so you were already unloaded.

tom4018":301qv63i said:
tncattle":301qv63i said:
The trailer in front of me was red, I am sure it was 11:30 or so when I got there, so you were already unloaded.

Yes, we were walking into Cracker Barrell about 11:30. I sure am sorry I didn't get to talk to you, maybe next time. I went and looked at a group of 5 wt. black heifers this afternoon which I think I'm going to buy so I'll be back.

Latest posts