Gustav

Help Support CattleToday:

Horticattleman

Reaction score
Looks like trouble for us again. Finally got my house all good to go after a rough one a few years ago, and work is good. Well forget all that. Gonna start packing Tomorrow just in case we gotta shag on Sat morning. I used to ride em out, but now that we have little ones, gotta kinda think a little more you know. Just not sure where we gonna go this time. Nearest hotel from here that has rooms is past San Antone. :shock: Thats 8 hours! Oh well we gonna give it a go. I hate to say I hope it turns or goes somewhere else, because then someone else will just have to deal with him. How bout this for coincidence. I just sold my beautiful 30' fifthwheel to buy a boat a month ago! No more home on wheels.

Maybe it will fizzle out and you will just get rain. I do think the people in New Orleans are going to take it seriously this time though.

I do feel your pain.

Just got this job in Gulfport finally going my way, got my buiding dried in and pouring slab and now this. I'm only about a mile or so from the coast, and now we could lose it all.

Oh well, guess that's what they call job security.

Talking like they may force an evac here on Sunday, but my happy lil rear will be in Tenn. by then.
Wes,
Ya'll are welcome up at the house. I know it;s a hump from where you are, but keep it in mind.

Horticattleman":37fahdbs said:
Looks like trouble for us again. Finally got my house all good to go after a rough one a few years ago, and work is good. Well forget all that. Gonna start packing Tomorrow just in case we gotta shag on Sat morning. I used to ride em out, but now that we have little ones, gotta kinda think a little more you know. Just not sure where we gonna go this time. Nearest hotel from here that has rooms is past San Antone. :shock: Thats 8 hours! Oh well we gonna give it a go. I hate to say I hope it turns or goes somewhere else, because then someone else will just have to deal with him. How bout this for coincidence. I just sold my beautiful 30' fifthwheel to buy a boat a month ago! No more home on wheels.
HC I hope everything turns out for the best for you.I imajine everyone is pretty jumpy gown there after katrina.
You never hear anything anymore about New Orleans and katrina.
What ever happend to the ruined parts of the city? Did they rebuild most of it?or is it still a dump?
And what ever happend to all the people that vacated the city?

Cal

We are almost right in the path in the Terrebonne-Lafourche area. We fared fairly well for Katrina and Rita, praying for the best now but preparing for the worst. Waiting and not knowing is the hardest part.

It doesn't look good for somebody; just don't know who yet.

It funny how a person's outlook changes when you have a dog in the fight. I've never lived on or near the coast or known anyone that did before now.

Number one son just moved into an apartment last week, less than a couple hundred yards from the water on the south edge of Pensacola.

Anyone have a few (or many) words of wisdom for him?

Tommy Ruyle":1i6c3qw2 said:
Anyone have a few (or many) words of wisdom for him?

What we do is fill the bathtubs up with water and collect as much fresh water as possible in containers. Don't wait till the last minute to do this cause there will not be any to be bought - if you plan to buy any.

Also, having a Coleman stove would be good. Coleman lantern too. And gas. Oh, fill up the vehicle too.

Stock up on nonperishable foods like rice, beans and the like. We try to plan on not having power for two weeks.

If the hurricane squares you, the best thing to do is get out of Dodge cause it looks like an atomic bomb went off. It is surreal. If it looks like its going to square him, pm me and I'll see if I can't help him out. No need in him experiencing something like this. The aftermath is bad enough.

In the late 60 I lived in a trailer court in Niceville Fla. and a hurricane was heading our way. People were going around the trailer court selling straps and deadment to tie your trailer down with at a rediculous price. I said no thanks that my car was full of gas and the insurance papers were in the car and I was heading inland. It turned to the west and spared us but I was ready to get outta Dodge.
Fred

If you are in its path or on the close east side just leave and take your loved ones with you. I have worked too many storms and seen the destruction too many times. It ain't worth the risk to stay. You can't do anything during the storm that will help. So just leave and get back as soon as you can and pick up the pieces. Also leave early, don't wait ubtil the last second and get cought in traffic and without somewhere to stay. Be the first one on your block to leave.

from what ive seen of the weather they dont know where its gonna hitt yet.could hit fla lousiana of the gulf coast of texas.either way it could get pretty hairy.

Jogee covered it pretty well. We also fill up our propane tanks so we can cook on the BBQ or on an outdoor burner if electricity stays out a while. Many people here stay for a Cat 1 or 2, Cat 3 and above and its time to load the vehicle. Worst thing is the storm surge. Kinda of ironic that today is the annviversary of Katrina. There are canceling a bunch of memorial celebrations in New Orleans. Louisiana has a website with tips that are pretty good.
http://www.getagameplan.org

Only positive thing around here so far is that the LSU game has not been cancelled yet.

Hi Guys-

I'm new here, and posting for a good friend of the cattlemen-
Debra Barlow of Hopeful Haven in Shreveport. For any who don't know her, she's :heart: quite :heart: a gal - helped to tide over some 60 cattle farming families in Vermillion Parish through the winter after Katrina with convoys of feed, veterinary supplies, household supplies and hay.

Debra's coordinating places for evacuees and needs help from anyone who can lend a hand- PLEASE crosspost to wherever you think there might be folks who can help their fellow farmers-
thanks so much! :tiphat: and Godspeed...

PLEASE CROSSPOST!
Evacuation space urgently needed in:
Northern Louisiana,
Northern Texas,
Southern OK,
Southern AK

Please crosspost immediately! If you can open your farm land for people evacuating to house their livestock and have space to put up people evacuating with their livestock, please email me asap and let me know as we prepare for Hurricane approaching. We will keep an eye on it and let you know the needs as the week progresses. I only need the evacuation space to be in Northern LA, TX and Southern Ark and Southern OK.....Most people are just trying to get out of harms way for a few days until its safe to return. Livestock owners are usually a who different breed of people than just people looking for a shelter. These are cattle and horse owners who are escaping with their livelihood as we saw in Hurricane Rita. Please email me asap and let me know if you have space or land available to house during this time of disaster. Pray for mercy for all!

Respectfully yours,

Debra A. Barlow
President & Certified
Animal Cruelty Investigator

http://www.hopefulhaven.com
[email protected]

After Rita in 05 it seems too soon for another hurricane to hit us. I am better prepared this time. I bought me a good generator this morning,stocked up on gas,water and food. I don't plan to evacuate unless it gets to a category 4 or 5. It is stressfull either way.I stayed at my house during Rita and it got pretty rough. The folks that spent 15 to 20 hours driving 200 miles had a rough time getting away from Rita.

The current track shows it hitting west of New Orleans.

There is an evac notice for the Gulfcoast. As of 6:00 pm Saturday, I 55 and I 59 will be northbound only. I 12 from Hammond, La. will be west bound.

My happy lil "be nice" will be leaving here at noon tomorrow. The Good Lord spared me in the tornado that rolled my office trailer on Jan. 10th. I aint gonna press my luck.

Rosalie":2ovyr64e said:
Hi Guys-

I'm new here, and posting for a good friend of the cattlemen-
Debra Barlow of Hopeful Haven in Shreveport. For any who don't know her, she's :heart: quite :heart: a gal - helped to tide over some 60 cattle farming families in Vermillion Parish through the winter after Katrina with convoys of feed, veterinary supplies, household supplies and hay.

Debra's coordinating places for evacuees and needs help from anyone who can lend a hand- PLEASE crosspost to wherever you think there might be folks who can help their fellow farmers-
thanks so much! :tiphat: and Godspeed...

PLEASE CROSSPOST!
Evacuation space urgently needed in:
Northern Louisiana,
Northern Texas,
Southern OK,
Southern AK

Please crosspost immediately! If you can open your farm land for people evacuating to house their livestock and have space to put up people evacuating with their livestock, please email me asap and let me know as we prepare for Hurricane approaching. We will keep an eye on it and let you know the needs as the week progresses. I only need the evacuation space to be in Northern LA, TX and Southern Ark and Southern OK.....Most people are just trying to get out of harms way for a few days until its safe to return. Livestock owners are usually a who different breed of people than just people looking for a shelter. These are cattle and horse owners who are escaping with their livelihood as we saw in Hurricane Rita. Please email me asap and let me know if you have space or land available to house during this time of disaster. Pray for mercy for all!

Respectfully yours,

Debra A. Barlow
President & Certified
Animal Cruelty Investigator

http://www.hopefulhaven.com
[email protected]

If ya'll are willing to come to Tenn., I'm sure we'll find someplace for your cattle. I don't run but 30 acres myself but I know alot of good people that will help out. Feel free to pm me for info.

Paint, Words could not explain how thankful i am for you to offer. My kids in the car for that long of a ride makes me want to drive down to the Point and ride it out there! We are gonna try to get to my dads in Central LA. Worst case, we have an old camp in N. LA just worry if its strong enough or how many twisters spins off this thing.
My business is all buttoned up. I basically kissed all my greenhouses goodbye. I have a 3500 sq. ft. wharehouse that I don't think you could put a fart in theres so much stuff in there. Boats, trailers, couple trucks, etc. Its been thru 7 hurricanes and hopefully 1 more, or many more. Hey I will say I have all the plywood cut for my windows and have had it cut and labeled for the last couple years.
I feel bad because I wish I could go down to vermillion and cameron parish and help tha cattlemen pull cattle out, but being i looked the projected path up on the internet and it shows my neighbor hood (kidding but it feels like it) I got alot of things here.

Well goodbye for now all. I absolutely hope to be back in touch in a week. Hopefully not too long.

p.s. please pray for all the families and people who have to hit the road and for what belongings they have.

Jogeephus":b1qnem6n said:
If projections are right it looks like Gustav will hit within an hour of high tide. Not good.

Since when have any weather projections to be accurate. It think if you used their Tuesday projections, the thunderstorm is about 2 days behind schedule. :lol2:

Sure is hot and dry. Feels like August.

1982vett":r18wz79v said:
Jogeephus":r18wz79v said:
If projections are right it looks like Gustav will hit within an hour of high tide. Not good.

Since when have any weather projections to be accurate. It think if you used their Tuesday projections, the thunderstorm is about 2 days behind schedule. :lol2:

Sure is hot and dry. Feels like August.

Still no rain for you?

Latest posts