Gus

Help Support CattleToday:

He should be a good buddy for you for a long time. Always an adjustment for the older ones when a new kid is in town. They'll be buddies before long id say after they sort some things out.

Toby will make his peace with it after a little while. He is about 100 lbs but scared of all puppies so it's at least entertaining ;]

What kind of dog is Toby?
Our best cowdog looked similar. We were never sure what she was.
The breeder didn't know what they were even though he was raising them for 35 years. His dogs had a reputation as being some of the best cattle dogs in the western part of Montana. He said he would find a yellow male to breed to his females and he kept going that way.
The one we got certainly was the best dog we ever owned.
She was naturally bob-tailed, short haired, yellow or tan in color, with black on
her face. White ring around her neck and some white on her paws. Very distinctive.

We love Blue Heelers, had them for years and they were great friends and partners.
Glad Gus worked out.

What kind of dog is Toby?
Our best cowdog looked similar. We were never sure what she was.
The breeder didn't know what they were even though he was raising them for 35 years. His dogs had a reputation as being some of the best cattle dogs in the western part of Montana. He said he would find a yellow male to breed to his females and he kept going that way.
The one we got certainly was the best dog we ever owned.
She was naturally bob-tailed, short haired, yellow or tan in color, with black on
her face. White ring around her neck and some white on her paws. Very distinctive.

We love Blue Heelers, had them for years and they were great friends and partners.
Glad Gus worked out.
Toby is an animal shelter rescue, we did one of those DNA tests on him and he came back as a mix that was predominately pyrenees, with some pit bull, boxer, and a dash of rhodesian. He's a big dog that thinks he is small, and the only thing I've seen snatch up and kill an armadillo without a problem. He looks similar to a black mouth cur I've seen some people have success working cattle with down here

We have 6 dogs and the only one worth her salt when it comes to actually working cattle is our border collie Bonnie. Gus is my buddy and partner in the orchard and pastures but he's a tick too slow for the cows, he has a knack for getting kicked, so I decided he's just my special little guy ;)

I always thought our dog, Zip, had some Rhodesian Ridgeback in her bloodlines. Also pit bull. Not sure where the natural bob tail came from.
I wish we had done a DNA test on her. That wasn't something that was done years ago, or anyway that we knew of.

She was amazing. She wasn't a good community dog because she was so protective.

I think the only picture I have on my computer of her is a b/w. I'll add it to this post.

Attachments

• Zip BLACK AND WHITE.JPG
    Zip BLACK AND WHITE.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 13
I always thought our dog, Zip, had some Rhodesian Ridgeback in her bloodlines. Also pit bull. Not sure where the natural bob tail came from.
I wish we had done a DNA test on her. That wasn't something that was done years ago, or anyway that we knew of.

She was amazing. She wasn't a good community dog because she was so protective.

I think the only picture I have on my computer of her is a b/w. I'll add it to this post.
Some updates:

Gus is settling in nicely

But Toby isn't quite on board with the new arrival yet
Do you see any resemblance between your Toby and our Zip? Just wondering.

Attachments

• F0D9F526-E2A3-4E75-BBF4-4E958BAE6E81.jpeg
    F0D9F526-E2A3-4E75-BBF4-4E958BAE6E81.jpeg
    703.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 33585603-3540-45EE-8058-317E8C2B3691.jpeg
    33585603-3540-45EE-8058-317E8C2B3691.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 11
  • BD7507E8-41D4-4A55-8ED3-6D5CF7F2F9E5.jpeg
    BD7507E8-41D4-4A55-8ED3-6D5CF7F2F9E5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • 23AAA114-BDD9-4387-9C18-0D29F57CE92C.jpeg
    23AAA114-BDD9-4387-9C18-0D29F57CE92C.jpeg