Guess what I'm doing

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
First day of firearms season here in mo.

E7C381B9-4317-441E-B9F5-023FB57DCDB9-912-00000259D99D21D3_zps46a33074.jpg

Think he's a decent 8, I shot him before 7am and waited a half hour to start tracking,we've tracked him down to a bottom, but looks like he's headed back up the other side. Gonna wait a little while to start looking again. The problem is it's 65 degrees.

Here's what I shot it with.

0DD75FB8-2E12-43BB-B511-738288D8CD9C-912-0000025E4513BA86_zps42d3eb4a.jpg

Buffalo bill model 94 30-30, never fired until this week, I've had it about 10 years in the box.

Good luck on finding him, seems like if they don't lay up in the first 100yds. finding them gets tuff.

I dropped a big longhorn spike at 43 steps with a load of double aught this morning.
He is soaking in ice water right now, that makes number five for the freezer this year between me and my youngest boy.
First one I decided to shoot.

Yesterday bucks were chasing does hard. Went out the door and a buck was chasing a doe in one pasture. Turned around to go to the truck and 3 bucks were chasing two does in the other pasture....this was about 30 minutes before dark. This morning about 7 had another pair come thru running. Never even looked at the feeder.

TexasBred":276jf41a said:
Yesterday bucks were chasing does hard. Went out the door and a buck was chasing a doe in one pasture. Turned around to go to the truck and 3 bucks were chasing two does in the other pasture....this was about 30 minutes before dark. This morning about 7 had another pair come thru running. Never even looked at the feeder.

That spike came trotting in to a grunt call.
He was the fourth one I have called in this week.

Denver I think that rifle is flawed IMO pm me for mailing instructions to my FFL.

Well I spoke to soon. We followed a light blood trail close to a mile without much to go on and it finally ran out. I rarely lose one but this was the exception. Supposed to be hot windy and rainin Tomorow, we put alot of scent around my number one spot today, but I think I'll try it again in the morning.

This would have probably been a shot where if I had had a scope I could have picked out a clearer shot though the brush, all I can figure is the bullet hit a stick I couldn't see, I had it shooting a 1/2 inch group at 50 yards yesterday.

Cb, your right it is flawed, it's missing a saddle ring. But I will say it's still alot of fun to hunt with. even if I can't hit the broad side of a moving deer through the brush before the sun is up.

Deepsouth":23533gya said:
I hate that you didn't find him Denver, maybe he'll make and yuan get another crack at him. I love the rifle! What are you shooting in it?
I'm shooting 170 grain fedarel power shok soft points.

I hunt a good area that I have faith in, and I have 9 more days, then muzzleloader season, and bow season until the middle of January. So our freezer will be over full for sure. And the only way I can have another one mounted is if it tops my biggest and this one today wouldn't have.

Kingfisher":9k561x84 said:
You don't have a dog you can put on that blood trail?

Dogs are not legal everywhere, they are not even legal in all of Texas.
Put a dog on a wounded deer in Tyler county is a ride to jail.
There is a bill in the house next session to stop the TPWD from discriminating against the East Texas counties.

denvermartinfarms":214yzoqg said:
Well I spoke to soon. We followed a light blood trail close to a mile without much to go on and it finally ran out. I rarely lose one but this was the exception. Supposed to be hot windy and rainin Tomorow, we put alot of scent around my number one spot today, but I think I'll try it again in the morning.

This would have probably been a shot where if I had had a scope I could have picked out a clearer shot though the brush, all I can figure is the bullet hit a stick I couldn't see, I had it shooting a 1/2 inch group at 50 yards yesterday.

Those rifles are very accurate as I owned two that I gave to the boys.
At fifty yards should of have had a model 12 and a load of buckshot if it is legal in your state.
Here in this thicket of the hundreds I have taken most have been with a shotgun.

Can't shoot buckshot here.

On tracking with dogs the law says, you must exhaust all other resources, call a game warden, and not be in possession of your bow or gun, and the dog has to be leashed. I don't have one so it didn't make much difference.

Not that any of us can smell blood, but I did have other than me, 4 guys that have been tracking deer in these woods for 40 plus years. Alot of the trail we followed I was looking at the ground not knowing for sure if it was where it had gone, but then I would see another tiny drip, then they just ran out. I am fairly sure we could all still be looking and have not found it, I really believe my bullet hit something and just didn't make a good enough wound.

Ouachita":xgtohm0o said:
I hate losing one, especially if I was the shooter. Don't let it get you down.
It don't get me down, I know there's plenty more around. Besides I'm still sitting in the woods, I couldn't be much happier.

Latest posts