Guess the weight

Help Support CattleToday:

78 pounds?
It seems we all have more than our fair share of mud this year. I'm in Oregon and this is the worst year I have ever had for dealing with the mud and the cows. Starting to feel sorry for them.

71 lbs. I assume it's been really warm up there. I can't believe all that snow melted off that fast. I still had snow in my truck bed when I got home from up there.

True Grit Farms":bfv38rde said:
71 lbs. I assume it's been really warm up there. I can't believe all that snow melted off that fast. I still had snow in my truck bed when I got home from up there.

50's and rainy. Have had some pretty crazy flooding. Now its dropped 20 degrees in last 3 hours and is supposed to snow tonight.

Son of Butch":3r0ol4y2 said:
77 lbs
Did you weigh him? Before or after he filled his belly with colostrum?
Do you 2nd guess yourself for choosing to calve this time of year in upstate New York?

SOB, I did weigh him but it was about 18 hours after birth. I weigh in a sling on a good scale off an outrigger mounted on my ranger.

As to the second, I am not 2nd guessing. I know for dang sure its a stupid thing. I have all the cows on my place exposed to a bull in July for April and May calving. However, this heifer jumped out of my yearling heifer group and in with the bull on May 18th. I thought about it and decided to let her go since she was one of my oldest to begin with.

Besides her, I've had 7 calves in the last month, all from cows that I've purchased recently. I don't get why anyone up here thinks this is a good time to drop calves. All these cows will be dropped back by not being exposed to the bull till July like the rest of my cows.

To add to my last response in the case that CityGuy might see it, I'd like to point out that while my goal is not to calve in January or February, real life with real cows happens. You only know that if you are dealing with bot real life and real cows. I know what its like to speculate since I was doing a lot of it five years ago. It's a little different when you're trying to manage different groups, keep certain cows from being exposed to bulls at certain times, etc. DOn't knock it till you've tried it :-D

Looks like 76.5 to me!

We had one in December which was unexpected but like you say real life happens.

Happy Calving.
HanginH

I'm not surprised that no one was too close since Ron/Inyati has pointed out how hard the guesstimating is from a picture. He was exactly 100 lbs. Momma was a little slower than I like in getting him out but I didnt intervene and all turned out fine.

I've had about 30 calves from this bull and it's the heaviest calf I've had out of him. Of course its with a first calf heifer.

Looks like I got the closest and I am the winner.. Do I get the calf now or at weaning?

lol, I just watched it WITHOUT reading the rest of the thread, and I was going to guess over 90 pounds! He has a lot of bone and mass, not a little one by any means. I am glad it worked out.
And I do not need any prize... lol

Latest posts