Help Support CattleToday:

lowline man

Reaction score
Guess the breed .
denver_020.jpg

denver_017.jpg

denver_001.jpg

denver_021.jpg

the first three look like they could be lowline angus but i cant tell about the fourth one.

This is a disclaimer question: Are all three heifers purebred?

Assuming that they are purebred -

#1 Simmental
#2 Gelbvieh
#3 Angus
#4 Hereford

If they are crossbred heifers, it would be almost impossible to guess what the composites would be. Whatever the breed is with #4, there is too much "unorganized" fat which was laid on too quickly. Lots of IMF (marbling) but way too much external fat. What was the feed that the #4 received to make that fat display?

DOC HARRIS

I think they are maine anjou, (club calves), they look great to me, i have started to breed my stock cattle to maine anjou bulls, and my calfs look great! Now i sell 4-h/ FFA show calves.

how old are the heifers?

I know its not healthy, but I just love that fat on the steaks!

Well, duh, coming from a person with the handle of "lowline man" - Lets see, hummm, could they be lowline????
Steaks way too fat, I would hope they would be marbled with that much outside fat! :shock:
Cattle look real nice. You do a good job.

DOC HARRIS
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a disclaimer question: Are all three heifers purebred?

Assuming that they are purebred -

#1 Simmental
#2 Gelbvieh
#3 Angus
#4 Hereford

If they are crossbred heifers, it would be almost impossible to guess what the composites would be. Whatever the breed is with #4, there is too much "unorganized" fat which was laid on too quickly. Lots of IMF (marbling) but way too much external fat. What was the feed that the #4 received to make that fat display?

DOC HARRIS

I find it interesting that we can't tell what breed they are when the hide is on, but we can once the hid is off. Aren't you being a little stereotypical?

PS, The steaks have a little extra exteranal fat, but they haven't been trimmed like all the beef in a retail establishment is. In fact there are lots of cattle harvested in todays beef industry that have .75 or more backfat on them. Thats why this industry imports all the lean trimmings in order to blend this extra fat off. In addition, the shape of the loin is not typical of Hereford. More like a Holstein, but probably too fat for that. Let me taste it, then I will tell you if it is a Hereford. Ha Ha

Brian

looks like some moderate black breed. maybe large Lowlines, maybe right-sized Angus, maybe any cross of the millions of black breeds.

one thing is for sure. i can tell you where you were, maybe if i knew the part of the yard you were in, i could guess more accurately. :)

I know who the man is in the picture, and that tells me it is most likely a Lowline.

Since the string was started by Lowlineman and they look like small Angus, I am guessing that they are all pictures of Lowlines.

I guess that means the steaks are lowlines or lowline crosses also, but since he got so much negative feedback he forgot to mention that. He'll probably come on here and claim they are something different.

Funny, some of you "smarties" were guessing chi cross. Hard to get much on the opposite end of the spectrum: Lowlines to Chi-crosses. Ha-ha-ha...

nortexsook":2tny9n0x said:
I guess that means the steaks are lowlines or lowline crosses also, but since he got so much negative feedback he forgot to mention that. He'll probably come on here and claim they are something different.

Funny, some of you "smarties" were guessing chi cross. Hard to get much on the opposite end of the spectrum: Lowlines to Chi-crosses. Ha-ha-ha...
Do you insist on being a smart aleck every time you post. Your put downs are getting irritating :stop: