grumble grumble grumble

Help Support CattleToday:

I may still not understand. Are the calves disappearing?
Is there anything to say they aren't dying from illness? Coyotes are far more likely to clean up dead calves than to be catching and killing three week old calves. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't expect that many.

That is very unusual for you to lost calves to the coyotes, especially at that age. That is why I always check on cows everyday while they are calving. Who knows, it could be two legged predators.

Walnut
"Quite separately, I have a couple of neighbors who are good guys who let me know if they see anything unusual going on ... again, good gates, big chains and sturdy locks ..."

From an earlier post: what did you do at your day job today

"Awoke to a text from our neighbor about a gate along the road that was open ... thank goodness all the heifers were still on our farm!"

I would be watching for humans that leave the gates open. Big chains and sturdy locks only keep honest people out!

bbirder":xltnrisj said:
Walnut
"Quite separately, I have a couple of neighbors who are good guys who let me know if they see anything unusual going on ... again, good gates, big chains and sturdy locks ..."

From an earlier post: what did you do at your day job today

"Awoke to a text from our neighbor about a gate along the road that was open ... thank goodness all the heifers were still on our farm!"

I would be watching for humans that leave the gates open. Big chains and sturdy locks only keep honest people out!

It was this text that led me to buy the chains and locks ... and since I've had them, I've not noticed anything unusual going on (except the current issue w/ the missing calves).

But, yes, it's all very good advice. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the loss of those calves, terrible. I had just stated in another in another thread about coyotes, that we lost three heifer's calves one year, that ranged from a day to 3-4 days old. I am very certain it was coyotes, we did find the carcasses though. Last year we had about a three month old calf that had a big abrasion on her front flank, she was also sick with some sort of respiratory illness as well, not sure if she was sick and something tried to get her, or she ran and got stressed out causing pneumonia. We brought her up to the barn to treat but lost her. Lots of things can and will happen to them. When we had sheep coyotes were a major problem, eventually put me out of sheep. We lost several lambs and even 3 mature healthy Suffolk ewes. A neighbor even lost a mature Suffolk ram.
We have been worried that bears may be problems, since they have made their way around these parts the last 3-4 years. So far no issues from a bear, other than speeding up the downing of some trees and limbs. Possibly we think a bear may have been the culprit that got a lot of our tomatoes, turkeys could be suspects too though.

So sorry for your trouble.
We have a lot of coyote's and to my knowledge have never lost a calf to them. Although they pretty much ran us out of the sheep business. Me and my uncle killed over 60 in a three month period.
I disagree with a earlier post that coyote's don't leave a trace.
With the exception of very small lambs.
A grown Barbados sheep wieghs about 80 pounds. And we would almost always find remains. If your pasture is big enough that you can't reasonably search it all. I wouldn't rule out that the calves are simply being bedded down out of sight. You can tell of course by looking at the cows to see if they've been nursed. If you can search your entire pasture and can't find any remains. I wouldn't suspect coyote's.

callmefence":314sntxq said:
So sorry for your trouble.
We have a lot of coyote's and to my knowledge have never lost a calf to them. Although they pretty much ran us out of the sheep business. Me and my uncle killed over 60 in a three month period.
I disagree with a earlier post that coyote's don't leave a trace.
With the exception of very small lambs.
A grown Barbados sheep wieghs about 80 pounds. And we would almost always find remains. If your pasture is big enough that you can't reasonably search it all. I wouldn't rule out that the calves are simply being bedded down out of sight. You can tell of course by looking at the cows to see if they've been nursed. If you can search your entire pasture and can't find any remains. I wouldn't suspect coyote's.

I agree with you, in that we would always find the remains of a coyote kill too, unless it was a small lamb like you said.

I agree I always find some sort of remains from a coyote kill if I look hard enough. If they are running in large packs like we saw last winter then I could see them getting a 1-2 week old calf but there should at least be some bones somewhere. The remains can be scattered and drug off a ways.

Walnut, Sorry for your trouble. Sounds like I need to be coming over with my predator calling stuff and a boom stick and see what's there. B&G

Latest posts