Growing/Finishing

Help Support CattleToday:

DAE

Reaction score
Some Questions for those who know about feeding:

1. What is the general standard (is there such a thing HA HA) thinking % of corn/barley for growing and finishing and at what weight do you start to finish?

2. We are thinking of using a custom mix until around March/April for our show calves and then switching to a show feed finisher. For those that know, tell me what the pro's/cons of this would be?

3. If you bought a show steer in October and are gearing for a show in July - Could you just feed a finisher all along (instead of grower and then finisher) and add corn/barley/beet pulp/etc. as each calf needs closer to the show?

4. If you are finishing with corn and barley/ whatis the % you should use of each?

Thanks for you help in advance.

1. i dont mix my own grain, i feed a 4-way grain, cheaper too.
2. thats good, but some times the calf wont take another grain. My steer last year turned his nose to everything i tried to give him. i tried putting molasses in it, he stil turned his nose.
3. depends on the weight of the steer. if its about 600 lbs, yeah go ahead with the finisher, but becareful on how much you feed him, he will get fat fast. Plus adding a whole bunch of other stuff, is not needed unless the calf is really scrawny. Feeding a steer to much can make him bloat due to much high concentrated feed.
4. not sure, i dont use that stuff.
DAE":22g3gsce said:
Some Questions for those who know about feeding:

1. What is the general standard (is there such a thing HA HA) thinking % of corn/barley for growing and finishing and at what weight do you start to finish?

2. We are thinking of using a custom mix until around March/April for our show calves and then switching to a show feed finisher. For those that know, tell me what the pro's/cons of this would be?

3. If you bought a show steer in October and are gearing for a show in July - Could you just feed a finisher all along (instead of grower and then finisher) and add corn/barley/beet pulp/etc. as each calf needs closer to the show?

4. If you are finishing with corn and barley/ whatis the % you should use of each?

Thanks for you help in advance.

This is primarily the reason there are so many bagged show feeds available. That way, all you have to do primarily is buy it and feed it. Takes the guesswork out.

TheBullLady":3exmgsbk said:
This is primarily the reason there are so many bagged show feeds available. That way, all you have to do primarily is buy it and feed it. Takes the guesswork out.

got that right

Latest posts