Ground bees

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
I have some ground bees that are in a high traffic area where I keep one of my tractors and lawn mower. One got me the other night and they pack a wallop. My hand was swollen for 2 days and very painful. My question is how would you get rid of them? My idea was to at night put a window screen over the hole and pour diesel into the hole and light it. I sure don't need to get stung again. So any ideas would be helpful

Once I walked by a ground hornet nest at the base of a cedar tree. Damn things went after my dog. I pulled him out and got the hornets off him. Then early in the cool of the morning, just as the sun was breaking the sky open, I emptied 1/2 can hornet spray on that hole. A couple of days later I went back to check and they were all dead.

probably not bees but some kind of ground hornet. Wait till night time, pour gas or diesel down the hole and set an empty 5 gal bucket over the hole to keep the fumes in.

We used to run into them in hayfields occasionally. Our method was one man with a shovel and another one with a pump-up sprayer with diesel. That would definitely get the heart rate up. I like your method better.

When I was a teen, we were building a 5 strand barbed wire fence and I droped a staple into some underbrush. As my luck would have it, I stuck my bare hand right into a yellow jacket nest. All I can remember is that it felt like I had put my hand into boiling oil.

When I was a teen, we were building a 5 strand barbed wire fence and I droped a staple into some underbrush. As my luck would have it, I stuck my bare hand right into a yellow jacket nest. All I can remember is that it felt like I had put my hand into boiling oil.
They are wickedly painful

Throw something down near the nest to make it easy to find in the dark. Come back at night with a can of gas and a shovel full of loose dirt. Pour gas down the hole and seal it off with the dirt. The fumes will take care of them.

probably not bees but some kind of ground hornet. Wait till night time, pour gas or diesel down the hole and set an empty 5 gal bucket over the hole to keep the fumes in.

I agree sounds like ground hornets. Google ground hornets. They look like bees. Most definitely swell you up and than it will itch. I feel for you.

No they were not that big more like a little bigger than a quarter of a inch. But yellow and black, if I didn't know any better I would say it was a yellow jacket. Don't think they are in the ground though

What we call ground hornets here, can sometimes be a misnomer as they don't always build underground. They can build anywhere, including in shrubs and tree limbs as well as in the ground.
I have a 6 decades old hatred of them.

So you folks really think pouring gas in the hole and covering it up, that the fumes will kill them? I'd hate to be wrong and pick up the bucket in a day or two and it be full of a bunch of super mad bees!

Yellow jackets burrow in the ground. Bald hornets live above ground and build paper nests.
Both can get pissy. Yellow Jackets tend to react individually . Any one with the time to pick up a bucket full
of bees has too much idle time on their hands!

Latest posts