Greetings from a beginner.

Help Support CattleToday:

sandyhill

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and only found it because I have a sick calf, but it is one of the best sites I have found on the web to date. I love reading about other places and farms and the things other farmers do. I have also learned so much from others on here. I'm glad a site like this was created. And I look forward to reading and learning more.
Just a little about me I have a small farm in Ky. About 30 head of cattle, a horse, chickens, dogs, cats, fish, kids and a husband. Oh yea and a full time job but who's counting :lol:
Thanks

:welcome:Sandy, Hey northern neighbor!
Where in KY are you located?
Re:
About 30 head of cattle
What breed and are you a cow/calf operation?

What's wrong with your calf?
SL

Hello, I have noticed there are not many from Ky, which isnt a bad thing. I really enjoy hearing from other parts of the world and learning how others do things. Unfortunatly cattle farming is not very popular as much any more. Im in Burlington and we have a mixed breed of cattle but mostly black and red angus and herferds. I have a calf that we had to take from the mother that now has joint ill and its been a nightmare. We have done everything we know to do and the vet said to do. I dont see much improvement and really dont want to lose this calf. I broke the major rule of farming and got attached to her. Even worse I named her Honey. She loves honey, its how I got her to finally take the bottle.

:welcome: sandyhill

There are actually several folks from KY on here. In addition to Bigfoot we've got Inyati, a fella named Tom near Bowling Green, LuckyP, mrvictodomino, all come to mind. I'm a tweener in so far as I live in TN but help out on the family farm in Warsaw, Ky when time allows.

Hello Tuxedo,
Warsaw isn't too far from me. We go into Warsaw to a pizza place "Hometown Pizza" my 7 yr old son loves to eat there.
We have a cow/calf operation. We ususally swap out bulls when we can with other farmers. Mostly we calve in the fall, with a few girls that just cant get on schedule and have their calves in the spring. I think we are up to 14 calves so far this fall.

Can you please explain why you calve in the fall? I know most people do it in the spring. Just curious, not trying to bust balls here.

Welcome to CT Sandyhill.

Bestoutwest---I know I'm not Sandyhill, but I will tell you why, where I used to work, they have increased the size of the fall calving groups. Some of the reasons why is because the calves born in the early "fall" (late August into late Sept) are "ready to go" on grass by spring. They have started to get a 'taste' of it by late fall-early winter. By winter, along with momma's milk, they are getting hay and he usually starts a bit of creep. By spring, they're familiar with grass, their weights are up, they're already started on grass, hay and feed and ready to go, and they get better prices for the calves. Another reason, as was told to me, was that by calving time the temps are a bit cooler being less stress on the cows at freshening and less heat stress to the calves. Their "spring" calving groups calve late Jan - early March. They don't like having to deal with cold wet weather.

Katherine

A pleasure Bestoutwest and Workinonit,
Workinonit is correct on why we do fall calving, plus a lot of people still do spring calving so we do get better prices by selling in late spring/early summer. Now with all the planning that goes into it we do have a cow or two that drop late like Nov or Dec. and I hate it when that happens.

Do you guys burn through more hay b/c it is winter (so no grass) and your cows are nursing? Would it be just as profitable to hold your calves over until the spring and sell them then instead of in the fall?

Thanks

We really dont seem to go through the hay that bad. When we first started most of our calves were born in the spring then we sold them in the fall. We had a few born in the fall and liked how they did. Our local extention office offered cattlemen classes and thats where we really learned how well we could do with fall calving. Now we do still have a few cows that calve in the spring, but not many. This way we still make something both spring and fall.

Bestoutwest":20w1mqgc said:
Do you guys burn through more hay b/c it is winter (so no grass) and your cows are nursing? Would it be just as profitable to hold your calves over until the spring and sell them then instead of in the fall?

Thanks

This got into a serious argument once so let me say it only applies to me. :) In MY market, I generally get much more for calves and cows sold in the spring. I was almost embarrassed to cash the check I got in February for light bred 16 month heifers. I have about 20 with ear slotted to go this spring. There is 45 or so acres of oats, wheat, clover and vetch mix growing out well that the cows will move on to in January or so. There are in heavy grass now and hopefully we are a few weeks out from our first frost. I calve year round and have many calving every 10 1/2 months. It works for me.

Now I can sit back and watch the fireworks :)

One thing I have learned is everyone in the cattle busniess has their own way of doing things. That is what I love about this site. I like to learn and hear from other farmers and how their operations work. I also think things work better for others depending on the area of the country they are in and how their winters run. We just seem to do better having fall calves and selling in the spring at around 500 lbs.