great video

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus

Reaction score
link to what I think is a great video...

It is the essence of what I think agriculture can be…

This man is far ahead of me in his transition process….but we have the same goals of making our life better through soil improvement….

And he is a great spokesman for the process of working with nature rather than thinking we can improve upon nature.

https://vimeo.com/170413226

That old boy is running a heck of an operation.

He had quite a jump on life, but he took it to the next level.

pdfangus":1agpgi78 said:
link to what I think is a great video...

It is the essence of what I think agriculture can be…

This man is far ahead of me in his transition process….but we have the same goals of making our life better through soil improvement….

And he is a great spokesman for the process of working with nature rather than thinking we can improve upon nature.

https://vimeo.com/170413226

Thanks for sharing it really gave me a lot to think about. I recently stopped spraying chemicals to control weeds but still spray nitro a few times a year and apply fertilizer. I may try this on a small scale.

I stopped using fertilizer and lime about 8 years ago and implemented a rotation grazing program where I move stock every two or three days....I will still use a little herbicide here and there in areas where the goats can't go...but I am trying to transition to me doing a better job of keeping the fences clean in the first place...blackberries and multiflora rose and poke berries are my biggest problem.

I would like to put the stock all together but two of the horses love to chase stuff and so I have a horse area and a ruminant area...

but with rotational grazing, long rest periods and heavy use of cover crops for grazing I have far better grass and forage than I did when I started....

I'll watch again later, but my impression of these "back to nature" types is you need markets where you can get thebig money for grass fed beef, free range chicken, etc.

john250":3urn53og said:
I'll watch again later, but my impression of these "back to nature" types is you need markets where you can get thebig money for grass fed beef, free range chicken, etc.

With his own 7.5 million processing plant, he can do that.

apparently the market is there ....
I have several guys doing well producing for direct to consumer but consumers want usda inspection....
most of them have a waiting list...
the limiting factor in our area...
we only have a few usda inspected processors...
we have plenty of state inspected processors but you can not get premium money for meat processed by them.

Chickens are the most profitable...and you can process on farm as long as the chickens are raised totally on the farm.

A google search for "Peter Byck" gets 37000 entries, most which deal with film making. His hometown is listed as Louisville, KY. I smell a Joel Salatin. A man with a great knack for bull selling his story as his most important product.