Grease?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Curious what others use, what do you think is the best grease for equipment? What handles the stress on loaders better?

i like to use the heaviest grease i can in equipment.it lubs the equipment better.an stays on the bearings better.the lighter the grease the more you have to grease your equipment.

Chevron EP2 or Shell duralith EP2. EP stands for extream pressure. Works well on equipment that moving parts are under heavy loads. I also use Unical red tac grease for equipment that runs in and out of water. It's tacky and doesn't wash off easy. I got a few cases a few years ago, I think unical sold out to spirit energy, so I'm not sure what name the red tac is going by now.
The one thing I learned about grease is not to put too much and bust your seals, but enough not to let joint run dry and most any decent tube of grease will do for most farm equipment until you start getting into high heat and high rpm applications. If your shopping for price, and research some of the no-name brands you'll find that they are made by some of the major names for companies like auto-zone to put their name on.

It depends on whether or not you are pumping into a bearing with seals or just a pin connection that has no seals. If it is a bearing with seals then you have blown the seals and now you must continue to pump plenty of grease in so that dirt doesn't make it's way in. But if it is just a pin connection you are fine.

I use a PetroCanada full synthetic (Precision Gold) everywhere grease is needed. Not quite as heavy as a non-synthetic, but more tactile so it won't be thrown off the bearing. Do not use "as heavy a grease as you can find", as a very heavy grease used in a spot where it shouldn't be will actually promote heating of the bearing surfaces, and cause early failure. Use as "light a grease as you can" or "a grease recommended by the manufacturer for a given purpose". Used to be a time around here that we blew out a couple bearings a year on this equipment or that. Since swapping to Precision Gold 7 years ago, I've had to change 2 bearings total.

Rod

I obviously do NOT understand grease guns. I have two pneumatic guns. Just bought a new one by Ingersoll thingking it would work better than the CH. Nope. First load went well, then put in the second cartridge and I can't get grease out of the darn thing.

What's the trick to making these things work consistently???

Help.

Billy

MrBilly":ytc7jm79 said:
I obviously do NOT understand grease guns. I have two pneumatic guns. Just bought a new one by Ingersoll thingking it would work better than the CH. Nope. First load went well, then put in the second cartridge and I can't get grease out of the darn thing.

What's the trick to making these things work consistently???

Help.

Billy

Bleed the air out of it. When you put a new cart in, frequently an air bubble will be formed and that stops the grease from coming out. With any luck it has a little bleeder screw/valve/doohickey that allows venting of the air.

Bullbuyer":2uqraqps said:
Dun - Next time, please refrain from using big words like "doohickey", that is just way too high tech for the rest of us! :lol:

I almost used "thingamajig" but that's too advanced for me.

alabama":k5g53bk3 said:
What is th e differance in a "doohickey" and a "Thingamajig"?

Most "doohickeys" go away on their own, but I usually have to go to the doctor to get rid of those darn "thingamajigs".

Hey Dun,

Whatcha think I am some dumb Hillbilly from the Ozarks? I's a dern smart Hillbilly from Georgia, near Atlanta where the smarts come from.

I pressed all the doohickeys and release all the air, nada.

I took each part off and checked. Finally, I took the tip (where it attaches to the zerk, not the jerk) off and there is a ball bearing in there - I took it out and cleaned it and put it back - it worked once. I repeated it again and it has worked fine since. This Ingersall thingy is different from the other grease gun I have. Once you pull the trigger it continues to bang , bang, bang grease out. The other one you had to pull each time you wanted a bang of grease.

Hope this helps someone else.

See, we Georgia Hillbillys aren't as stupid as we look.

Billy

MrBilly":3ve9ybw7 said:
Hey Dun,

Whatcha think I am some dumb Hillbilly from the Ozarks? I's a dern smart Hillbilly from Georgia, near Atlanta where the smarts come from.

I pressed all the doohickeys and release all the air, nada.

I took each part off and checked. Finally, I took the tip (where it attaches to the zerk, not the jerk) off and there is a ball bearing in there - I took it out and cleaned it and put it back - it worked once. I repeated it again and it has worked fine since. This Ingersall thingy is different from the other grease gun I have. Once you pull the trigger it continues to bang , bang, bang grease out. The other one you had to pull each time you wanted a bang of grease.

Hope this helps someone else.

See, we Georgia Hillbillys aren't as stupid as we look.

Billy

Sometimes the obvious is the first thing overlooked.

There is a Lanolin product based on grease from sheep wool that is about as good as I have seen .
I coated my battery terminals with it to stop corrosion and the stuff would not let the electricity past -would not start or even power up until I cleaned it off with a rag.

Another trick is to pack the end of the tube completly full of grease with a paint stirrer. Normally new tubes are not filled all the way to the end.

Latest posts