Grease Zerts not taking grease..

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
So I recently found a couple of grease zerts on my hay baler I didn't know were there. Despite my grunting and groaning, I was unable to get them to accept grease.

Any words of advice on getting them to take grease again?

Thanks in advance.

OklaBrangusBreeder":3o8hxsr4 said:
So I recently found a couple of grease zerts on my hay baler I didn't know were there. Despite my grunting and groaning, I was unable to get them to accept grease.

Any words of advice on getting them to take grease again?

Thanks in advance.

I keep a few hundred on hand and will remove them and put a new one on rather than go through the bs of trying to get them to work... Pennys holding up a dollar IMO

Not a solution but a free warning. Don't hold the hose in your hand if your trying to force the fitting to take grease. Had a friend who is a row crop farmer, who was greasing a peanut picker a couple of years ago when the hose busted, you guessed it, right where he was holding it. Someone else was actually pumping the grease gun. Anyhow, the grease was under so much pressure that it shot into his palm right below his pointer and middle finger. Apparently it's very toxic if it gets in your bloodstream. Long story short he almost lost two fingers but after months of therapy he has about 60% use of those two fingers. Never can be too careful.

skyhightree1":37vxnf99 said:
JMJ Farms":37vxnf99 said:
Apparently it's very toxic if it gets in your bloodstream. quote]

Might be why my wife flips if I eat a sandwich with grease all over my hands :shock:
I thought everyone did that

skyhightree1":pdt8wasr said:
dun":pdt8wasr said:
I thought everyone did that

I am glad im not alone :D

Im pretty sure everybody that uses a lot of grease does it

Grease zerks not taking grease is one thing that p!ss the he// out of me :bang: :bang: :bang:

True Grit Farms":3hdgo5q5 said:
I have a battery powered Dewalt grease gun and it works great. It will push the grease under more pressure and clear most zerk fittings.
Battery grease guns are awsome they work great with those snap on tips that dont come off or leak till you take it off

But yeah if you can just replace its to big of a pain in the azz not to

True Grit Farms":20tclk3d said:
I have a battery powered Dewalt grease gun and it works great. It will push the grease under more pressure and clear most zerk fittings.
The operative word being "most". I've run into a few that even the dewalt can;t push grease through. That's why I have a little bag of misc size and shaped zerks.

90% of the time it's not the zero that's stopped up, it's where the grease goes that is.
Like above use a small wire or paper clip and cleaner.
The thing cross posted sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
If the hole the zerk goes in is positioned to where it will hold liquid squirt what little penetrating oil in it that it holds and screw the zerk back in. Try to grease it, if it pressures up real tight then leave it alone a hew hours then come back and try again. Sometimes the oil under pressure will finally get through it.
It's the same concept as the tool cross posted.

IMG_20160629_205128697_zps0qsdj0kh.jpg

I've got one of those, almost a must with the elctric grease guns. Only Issue I have had is a couple of times when the zerk wouldn;t take grease, I had pumped so much pressure against the zerk that I had a really hard time getting the coupling released.

A little bit of heat, grease just enough to clear the zerk, then when it cools down finish greasing. Probably not an approved method around bearing seals and such, but 90% of the time it works every time.

ChrisB":3d47etld said:
A little bit of heat, grease just enough to clear the zerk, then when it cools down finish greasing. Probably not an approved method around bearing seals and such, but 90% of the time it works every time
:roll: :lol:

Latest posts