Grease Guns

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Anyone have an air powered grease gun. I have a hard time greaseing my tractor having only two hands. Any information would be appreciated.
~Tom

Consider the Lincoln cordless grease gun. It uses a gear drive hydraulic action to make pressure. Its pressure will exceed most if not all air guns and you do not have to have the hose to drag around. I have had success twice with getting track adjusters on earth movers to budge when all other grease guns failed. The nipple on the gun is designed to function up to 6000 PSI. Most grease guns will only develop 2000 PSI. That sounds like a lot until you realize how small the areas are that are the orifices for the grease.

Another way to make it easier....short of genetics experiments to grow a third arm.....is to rig up one of your grease guns with the flexible rubber hose, and another one with the metal tube. Since the tube is threaded 1/8" pipe threads, you can use 1/8" pipe and make custom ones to fit your special needs. Doing industrial maintenance work in factories and mills all my life, I've rigged up some weird contraptions over the years. Once, to keep from carrying a ladder to grease a machine every morning, because you couldn't reach over the safety guards, I ended up with a U shaped bunch of pipe with elbows and such. Ususally have to braze a strap across the corners to keep it from unscrewing, but it works. Easier than toting a ladder every morning! Another machine had the seals out in the bearings on a 6 inch pillow block. This thing needed an entire tube of grease in each side every day. That's around 200 pumps per tube...yes I counted! It was out away from the buildings...no air, no electricity. Boss too cheap to buy me anything. So I took an old grease gun, pulled the plunger out of it, welded a 3/8 nut to the end of the gun, took a piece of all thread, put the piston on that, and ground the other end of the grease gun to a triangle. Then, I was able to use a cordless drill to run the grease out of that gun so fast it wasn't funny! Awkward, but fast! Just put your thinking cap on, and rig something up!

I have used air style grease guns from the auto parts stores and they work pretty good. I have started using heavy duty grease gun tips on the pump style guns and have stopped using the air grease guns. The heavy duty tips are larger and grip the zerk better than the standard or smaller tips allowing use of a pump style grease gun with two hands. When you are in a hurry, dragging out a hose and starting up the compressor in the field is kind of a pain.
Bear

I've got a Lincoln air gun I like pretty well. When you pull the trigger it keeps pumping unlike most of the cheaper ones that only give one shot when you pull the trigger.

Larry

Latest posts