Grazon

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
We had our pasture sprayed with Grazon a few weeks ago. We had a lot of weeds and blackberry briars. My question is when can we bushhog the weeds down to give the grass more sun.

You didn't say if you are in the drought area of AL. If yes, IMHO I would wait till you've received a good rain and then mow after a week or ten days after the rain. I think the weeds should be growing to absorb the chemical and if in a drought they may not take up a fatal dose. Otherwise as the larger weeds die and turn brown they are ready to cut down. The label claims Grazon will work up to about 4 to 6 weeks after spraying. Some on this board don't really believe that there is any residual effect but that's what the label says. I would give it about that long anyway.

We sprayed some blackberries with Grazon P+D and added 2/10 oz metasulfuron last year in the drought. It worked slow and really showed up after it got some moisture to activate it.

I am sorry. Yes were are in severe drought. I guess that was a stupid question. You get tired of seeing brown fields of weeds. We did get some rain last night. It lasted maybe 10 minutes, but it is still possible after all to get rain. I guess it was a sign when our temps hit high 80's in April.

Phil in Tupelo":2nw8tioj said:
You didn't say if you are in the drought area of AL. If yes, IMHO I would wait till you've received a good rain and then mow after a week or ten days after the rain. I think the weeds should be growing to absorb the chemical and if in a drought they may not take up a fatal dose. Otherwise as the larger weeds die and turn brown they are ready to cut down. The label claims Grazon will work up to about 4 to 6 weeks after spraying. Some on this board don't really believe that there is any residual effect but that's what the label says. I would give it about that long anyway.

I used Grazon P+D last year, $144.00 for 5 gallons. Did 40 acres with it. Was pleased with the results. I didn't have anything to compare it to until this year. It has gone up in price, like everything else, to $158.00 for 5 Gal. So I opted for Weedestroy AM-40. 30 Gal. $320.00. A higher percentage 2-4-D product. I think I should have bit the bullet and put the Grazon to it. This stuff don't have the residual power that the Grazon P+D displayed last year. I should have known from the price difference, but dummie me.......... :dunce:

The dicamba in Grazon does have a residual effect. It is worth the extra money. My only warning, don't spray any pastures that you want to plant clover in because the dicamba will stay in the soil for up to a year and kill it.

I just dug by hand, out 8 cu feet of dirt for a square produce garden. Sifted out rocks, added organic mulch, and added "deodorized" manure. I have gardened for many years enriching our desert soil.
Every where I PUT the manure specifically, including this new spot, are not growing nearly at all except for the corn. I have researched and Grazon in the manure explains all the symptoms my plants are experiencing. Please stop using this stuff. Your helping to ruin the food sources potential. No I'm not a tree hugger. My garden blog around the country have many testimonies of the same symptoms.

I just dug by hand, out 8 cu feet of dirt for a square produce garden. Sifted out rocks, added organic mulch, and added "deodorized" manure. I have gardened for many years enriching our desert soil.
Every where I PUT the manure specifically, including this new spot, are not growing nearly at all except for the corn. I have researched and Grazon in the manure explains all the symptoms my plants are experiencing. Please stop using this stuff. Your helping to ruin the food sources potential. No I'm not a tree hugger. My garden blog around the country have many testimonies of the same symptoms.
What do you suggest that forage producers use to control weeds?

Before you made the dubious accusation can i ask if you tested the manure for residues and the soil? Or did you just decide because your garden failed you had to find something to blame?

What do you suggest that forage producers use to control weeds
If you had taken some time to research you would have found out in advance about that effect. But if the mulch sits for about 3 years it can be used. I have used mulch like that in my garden for years with no problems. The grazon wasn't the problem, your lack of knowledge was the problem.

You bumped a 15 year old thread to warn of something thats right on the label? And you don't even know if thats your actual problem or not.

Why aren't your cattle eating the weeds? Need to rethink spraying weeds as most weeds are more nutricious than grass. I've been grazing stocker calves dormant tumble weeds, kochia, and pigweed on a regeneration project. Have clients whose cattle browse blackberries, cockleburs (Between the two leaf and boot stage) all kinds of ragweed, sumac, locust, and a host of other weeds.

Why aren't your cattle eating the weeds? Need to rethink spraying weeds as most weeds are more nutricious than grass. I've been grazing stocker calves dormant tumble weeds, kochia, and pigweed on a regeneration project. Have clients whose cattle browse blackberries, cockleburs (Between the two leaf and boot stage) all kinds of ragweed, sumac, locust, and a host of other weeds.
Any photos of said cattle and their condition?

My cattle will eat the western ragweed IF it is young. They will not touch goatweed which is my biggest problem.