Grazing to control Canada Thistle

Help Support CattleToday:

Intrepid1

Reaction score
I live in Alberta Canada. Having problems with weeds (Canada Thistle) on native pastures.. Does anyone have experience using animals like goats or sheep to control the weed?

some cows actually like it.. Longhorns are most likely to.. they have to be a little hungry to put up with the prickly bits though.. I'd guess there's an increased chance of getting jaw abscesses if they're eating it though.

I appreciate the advise. I run yearlings or stockers on the grass. Have used a lot of herbicides to control the thistles. Grazon tends to be ineffective and rarely used in Canada. Reclaim works far better. But it is hard to apply in stepp rugged terrain or where there are trees. Wondering about intensive grazing to stress specific locations.

I have heard about the training animals to eat thistle. Understand animals must be trained. My herd tend to be animals just grazed over summer then sent to feedlots for finishing so it is difficult to educate them for thistles or poisonous native plants.

Currently trying experiment of Bio Control of Thistles. Using Thistle Stem weevil and Thistle stem gall flies. But it takes a very long time to know if might work. Recent years things like heavy smoke from fires, extreme heat and snow coming early when insects arrive is putting establishment to the test.

Ever try horses? Seems like wherever horses graze here thistles disappear. I know for sure they eat the flowers and I'm pretty sure they will eat young tender vegetation. Can't say for sure they like Canada thistles but im pretty sure

I use 2 4 D when run out of money for the Reclaim. But it does not have the suppressants so must be done yearly. The pastures are extremely steep and even using utility vehicle and front wheel assist tractor there are area that cannot get near.
Horses love the thistle flower right at bloom stage. We use horses working the herd. But to control on larger scale hard to find 900 to 1000 horses to graze for a week.

Latest posts