grasshoppers

Help Support CattleToday:

RebelCritter

Reaction score
Dry-Roasted Grasshoppers
Start with 24 live insects. Place them in a colander and cover with cheesecloth. Rinse with lukewarm water and place in the freezer. After 20 minutes or so, they will be dead but not frozen. Remove the head, wings and hind legs. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake at 200°F for 2 hours, until they are dried. You can use them in the recipes below or dip them directly into melted chocolate or warmed honey.

Fruited Grasshoppers
1 cup grasshopper flour (grind dry-roasted grasshoppers into flower, in food processor)
1 Tbs raisins
1/2 cup dried mixed fruit (apricots, dates, etc) chopped
1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients. Pinch off pieces of dough to make strips about the size of your finger and place on greased baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes at 325°F. An excellent energy bar. Makes about 12 pieces.

This is an actual recipe and I have made them. [I dipped them in melted chocolate, and always put a little sign that says "Chocolate covered Grasshoppers"] It is a great novelty recipe. I had a friend at one of my parties eat 4 or 5 of them, that evening her kids said that they could not believe that there mom ate Chocolate covered Grasshoppers. There mom said O-there not really Chocolate covered Grasshoppers, it's just a name for them, like caremaul turtles. No they said they were real Chocolate covered Grasshoppers, she called my up and asked me, when I told her that they were Chocolate covered Grasshoppers. She asked me how long will they be in my body.

I had grasshoppers before. At first I thought they were gross but boy was I wrong! They are really good. :banana:

;-) These are my favorite grasshopper recipes...

Grasshopper recipe
3/4 oz green creme de menthe
3/4 oz white creme de cacao
3/4 oz light cream
Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve

or

Flying Grasshopper
1 oz creme de cacao
1 oz vodka
1/3 oz green creme de menthe
Shake with 3/4 glassfull of crushed ice serve in an old fashion-glass

or do the Flying Grasshopper in a blender and instead of ice use a couple scoops vanilla ice cream.

That's a lot of work for what you get. :shock:
Besides there are so many good thing to eat.

I think it might just be easier to pick them off the radiator and grill of the work truck. Add a cold brew and it might be pretty darn good.

TexasBred":25g175ng said:
I think it might just be easier to pick them off the radiator and grill of the work truck. Add a cold brew and it might be pretty darn good.

I like the cold brew part. :nod:

Well, RC, I think that recipe gives new meaning to the word "firmware". :lol2: But, novelties are a good thing!

When I read "grasshopper", I immediately thought of those Texas appetizers we call "grasshoppers" which are a jalepeno sliced lengthwise, scraped out, then filled with cream cheese, wrap a little bacon around it held down with a toopick and set on the grill. Have some cold beer ready!

BeefmasterB":bcpgfdqy said:
Well, RC, I think that recipe gives new meaning to the word "firmware". :lol2: But, novelties are a good thing!

When I read "grasshopper", I immediately thought of those Texas appetizers we call "grasshoppers" which are a jalepeno sliced lengthwise, scraped out, then filled with cream cheese, wrap a little bacon around it held down with a toopick and set on the grill. Have some cold beer ready!

Now that sounds like something we could get into up here. Only a Bell Pepper. :tiphat:

mnmtranching":3nri1qhj said:
BeefmasterB":3nri1qhj said:

Now that sounds like something we could get into up here. Only a Bell Pepper. :tiphat:

My husband makes those only he calls the armidillo eggs. The cream cheese really takes the heat out of the pepper but you can also use Anaheim (SP?) peppers. They are a lot more mild. I like those the best.

Lammie":397063uq said:
mnmtranching":397063uq said:
BeefmasterB":397063uq said:

My husband makes those only he calls the armidillo eggs. The cream cheese really takes the heat out of the pepper but you can also use Anaheim (SP?) peppers. They are a lot more mild. I like those the best.

Lammie, get Steve to have a little honey ( yes, real honey :lol2: ) nearby. It' douses the heat fairly well!

Latest posts