Grass Tetany

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder since a lot of us are getting warm temperatures and the grass is greening.

Check the mineral and if you don't have HiMag out,put some in.Lost a 3 year old yesterday and couldn't tell if she rolled into a wheel track from where she was and bloated or if a grass tetany seizure put her there.They were out of mineral :hide: :dunce:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
JW IN VA":1jj35flp said:
Just a friendly reminder since a lot of us are getting warm temperatures and the grass is greening.

Check the mineral and if you don't have HiMag out,put some in.Lost a 3 year old yesterday and couldn't tell if she rolled into a wheel track from where she was and bloated or if a grass tetany seizure put her there.They were out of mineral :hide: :dunce:

Good reminder. Sorry to hear you lost one, for whatever the reason was.

TennesseeTuxedo

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
JW IN VA":3vh3ecp5 said:

Thanks!

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
The timing of this post is crazy we just moved the cows to rye and rye grass this afternoon. I pulled them off after two hours, but they were looking bloated. I told my wife they were pigs.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always been told don't stop feeding your hay just because the winter grass pops.

We lost a cow a couple weeks ago. The rye grass went crazy in the cattle pens/ trap area and she was dead in the pens. I wondered if that is what happened to her.

OP
J

JW IN VA

Reaction score
i have a protein block out which has higher magnesium levels than some but they still don't get enough Mg without the Hi Mag loose mineral I normally feed all year long.Just out of loose mineral too long?

Latest posts