Grass Tetany (spelled wrong probably)

Help Support CattleToday:

From the few I've seen they were fine and an hour or 2 later they were dead.

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to grass tetany. If there is a risk, get some mag into those lactating cattle. Grass tetany does not affect non-lactating cattle, bulls, yearlings, etc.

Best most palatable form of mag and also most expensive is lick tubs. Mag cake works good too if they are interested in eating it. You can buy straight mag and mix it in salt or loose mineral too or topdress feed with it. Mag is bitter tasting, so a little goes a long way.

From what i here they will be the most wild one in the bunch and then get down and won't be able to get up. I feed hi mag salt mix from the middle of febuary to the first of june and have never had any problems in years of haaving cows.

lactating cattle are the most susceptible- but it can effect any animal if conditions are right(well.....wrong).
There is some new research coming out that is saying lack of magnesium is not the prime culprit and just a symptom. High Potassium is what starts the cascade. And feeding more salt is actually the cure for the high potassium(pee it out).

Howdyjabo

I recently read the article you referenced on feeding salt which is supposedly effective and is surely a lot cheaper. The article makes a good argument for not using block salt but for using loose salt instead.

I've heard the salt theory before, as advice to apply salt to the pastures to reduce the effects of high soil potassium.
I also noted when farming in a salt deficient area that the recommended pre-calving intake was only a third that recommended for dairy cows, as high salt (and high potassium) is thought to predispose the cow to milk fever.

I've never seen grass tetany but have seen the symptoms of low magnesium at times, the herd will be generally on edge, nervous, looks identical to endophyte staggers & if the herd are walking home and a rabbit runs across the race in front of them they will turn and flee - through fences even.
No, I lie. I came back from time off several years ago and found the vet in the paddock with a down cow, looked like milk fever he claimed it was hypomagnesemia. It had been raining while I was away and my boss hadn't given the cows any magnesium, and from his previous manager I learned he'd done exactly the same thing with exactly the same result before. The cow didn't die, had to be shot.

Lucky, that article worries me. My cows are on high nitrate feed (sent two samples to the vet recently and both showed toxic levels) on a farm with extremely low phosphate/high potash soil test and at present no salt or mineral supplementation. It's usually only salt deficient areas in NZ that use any salt at all, and this isn't one of them.