grass tetany or bloat?

Help Support CattleToday:

LuckyLegs

Reaction score
I am getting ready to let my pregnant cow (due in June) out into a 1.5 acre pasture where I have planted some winter rye grass - it is tall and green. Only about 10% section is planted, the rest is dormant winter grass just starting to turn green. Currently she is in a pen and has available at all times free choice hay, a molasses protein tub, all-purpose mineral lick, and fresh water.

I am concerned when I let her our she could get bloat/tetany? I have been searching the boards for a definitive answer and I see conflicting answers - some say tetany, and others bloat. I have both a bloat guard block and a Hi-Mag mineral on the shelf in the barn, just not sure what to put out, and for how long. Maybe I am being overly cautions, but I hate to loose a cow when I could easily safeguard myself.

Thanks

Could get either. Have a bloat block available and start her on hi-mag minerals for a week or 2 before you turn her in. The hi-mag will address the tetany and the bloat block with address the bloat issue

Limit her grazing time on that rye grass as well. A couple of hours per day should be plenty then let her finish filling up on hay.

I've never had bloat problems with any cows on ryegrass. Keep the hi-mag mineral out for grass tetany and give her access to the hay.

I never use high mag unless the cows are producing milk.

CSM

I've never had either problem on rye grass either. Clover or johnson grass yes, but never rye.

As suggested, you could limit her access to start out. I would also suggest filling her with hay before you let her out initially.

Latest posts