Grass overload

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":87i3zy1e said:
I think I'll just stick with Drs Jeff Masters and Bob Henson's prognostications.

Don't know if you watched what happened as this TD crossed mexico. When it jumped into the pacific, that cold front touched it. It sucked in some of its energy. That energy is now drifting towards central texas.
I love watching how the systems move over the earth. Its like a pinball machine..things bouncing off other things....

cowgirl8":21xh72fl said:
There are not many forecasters who get it right 100% of the time....I get better forecast from water turtles. lol....

Only job where you can be wrong 50% of the time and keep your job. Really, I'm amazed at how well they do. What's really amazing is the "Old Farmer's Almanac" that can predict a year ahead of time and come close withing a few days of their predictions. Amazing!

And...........its raining again.
Just north of us a farmer planted hundreds of acres of cotton. This cotton is the tallest I've ever seen and I've lived around cotton fields for all my life. I ran to town yesterday and I noticed its an off color. Sad if its gets cotton root rot, or just drown from all the rain. I bet in places its close to 5ft tall.
Woke up to pouring rain. I just bet husband says...'.Lets get out of here.' Might go bay fishing, who knows. Cant do anything around here.

greybeard":1p8rrp9h said:
I think I'll just stick with Drs Jeff Masters and Bob Henson's prognostications.

This energy is now passing over us. The front took enough of its energy that once it hit open water it fizzled. But the front got enough of it to make rain over texas. I just watched the radars and this cold front has picked up another low and its spinning in Mexico right now. Its going to be interesting where it goes. It will either be pulled into the gulf with the line of the front as it travels east, or, will sit there and wait for the next front to pick it up and drag it over us. We get our wettest weather from this effect, energy brought over from the pacific... If this keeps happening, Texas is going to be very wet..
And, I saw a water turtle yesterday crossing the road...

I got 8" out of it 9th thru 17th N. of Dallas. Some of the cells that came over ran 6" per hour (rate, not accumulation) at one point per the nearest "Weather Underground" report (now part of the Intellicast site). Did some waterway washing out where the terraces dump. Freshly plowed hay patch held up ok. Very little topsoil movement.

We still have standing water everywhere. Intellicast forecast says, one more day of 90s, then 80s and rain till the end.. Will this be the last days of our summer?

Work everyday for 3 months in monsoon and you get used to just getting out in it first thing in the morning and get soaking wet.

Monsoon or rainy season, lasting from July to September. The season is dominated by the humid southwest summer monsoon, which slowly sweeps across the country beginning in late May or early June. Monsoon rains begin to recede from North India at the beginning of October. South India typically receives more rainfall.

My guys are doing their last hayfield. They had the equipment washed and ready to store, but got a call for a custom job that would only take a couple days. So they figured what the heck. I got out of doing a lot of hay work this year...most dried so slow they were able to spend more time cutting instead of me.

Latest posts