Grass i.d.

Help Support CattleToday:

Thunder

Reaction score
We have this grass all over. The black angus cows don't seem to ever touch it. We have a small bit of Bermuda and they hover over that stuff. They eat the blue gramma.

I've been trying to figure out what it is and think it is little bluestem.

It's in central Texas. Mills county. All native brush and grass.

A cousin thinks if we give them molasses tubs that they will eat it then. Thoughts?

We're pretty amateur ranchers. Sorry. LoL.

Attachments

• 2021-07-30T11_29:43-05:00.JPEG
    2021-07-30T11_29:43-05:00.JPEG
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
First where are you at?
Secondly because it's green doesn't make it grass.
Third thing you have to learn is your a grass farm converting grass to cash using a bovine.
It's not anytime native to my neck of the woods.

It's native around here. I think it's some kind of bluestem. Our cattle like it before it gets to big. There are different bluestem grasses - some better than others.

I'm pretty sure it's either little bluestem or broomsedge bluestem, it's hard to tell from the picture.
Check out this video to help you identify it.

Little bluestem is the better grass of the two for cattle grazing. I have some broomsedge bluestem and I mow it down to get rid of the old growth to try to make it more acceptable to the cows.

J+ Cattle

If there isn't anything else better and with enough protein supplement, cattle eat and digest some pretty undesirable feed. Make sure your molasses tub has enough protein in it. Cake (23-30% protein) is usually way cheaper to feed than tubs, but you need to feed 3-4# per head 2-3 times a week to keep their rumen primed up.

We have this grass all over. The black angus cows don't seem to ever touch it. We have a small bit of Bermuda and they hover over that stuff. They eat the blue gramma.

I've been trying to figure out what it is and think it is little bluestem.

It's in central Texas. Mills county. All native brush and grass.

A cousin thinks if we give them molasses tubs that they will eat it then. Thoughts?

We're pretty amateur ranchers. Sorry. LoL.