Grass fed MG's at the show!

Help Support CattleToday:

waihou

Reaction score
I know I am probably going to get a few wry comments about the lack of condition!
But our local country Show was yesterday and here is our boy Bingo. Champion male All Breeds beef animal!
DSC03218.jpg

He is a late July 06 calf and a Yearling in our classes, ie born since 1 June 2006 He is entirely grass fed and weighed 1490lbs last week. As he was so well behaved we will start to give some hard feed to get him up in condition for a National Beef Expo sale in May-if he passes inspection.

There were 6 breeds represented in this All Breeds show-Hereford, Simmental,Highland,Dexter., Galloways and Murray Greys and 53 animals in all. We missed out on Supreme Champion to a lovely Simmental Cow and calf, which was understandable!

The calves I pictured on the Murray Grey Calves thread did well too, with a first, third and fourth in the heifer class and a second in the bull calf class.
Our yearling heifers were placed 1st and third-so all in all a good day out.
DSC03231.jpg

I like your bull---he's certainly not fat but not skinny either. I do like his shape and it appears
that his heart and flank girth are deep.

I've noticed in most photos from N.Z. and Australia that almost everyone has a hat
on their head. Skin-cancer danger??

OK Jeanne":39h5rvjh said:
I've noticed in most photos from N.Z. and Australia that almost everyone has a hat
on their head. Skin-cancer danger??
The sun here is so strong that in ten minutes without any protection you'll burn. Most people in their thirties and up these days are the up-and-coming skin cancer statistics, because as children and young people we sunbathed and lived so much outside without awareness of the increasing danger of the sun. Visitors to the country are often caught out by sunburn.

Waihou's cattle are a delight in the flesh as well. I am priveleged to have visited them. :cboy:

I like him. Looks to be in good shape to me. I prefer to see cattle with a stride and prefer pigs with a waddle.

Congrats!

Is it common in NZ to show cattle in rope halters, as opposed to leather halters? And without nose clips/grips/dogs in the heifers?

I supposed I just assumed NZ would be the same as us here, and require leather halters and nose grips.

Congrats! Supreme Beef Bull is always a thrill to win!

Is it common in NZ to show cattle in rope halters, as opposed to leather halters? And without nose clips/grips/dogs in the heifers?

I supposed I just assumed NZ would be the same as us here, and require leather halters and nose grips.

I'm also curious about this, because I assumed the same as Keren.

Hi there,

Where is the "local" show ? Looks familiar but I cant place it.

I was in Hawkes Bay for a long time then 3 years in Northland ( Wellsford) and moved to the States ( Central Oregon) 8 years ago. My time in both places was with Simmentals but I enjoy your photo's of "home" and really like the look of your MG's.

cheers

Goddy

Re showing rules here in NZ.
No there are no hard and fast rules re what type of halters to use. Leather, rope or webbed nylon are all acceptable. I'm sure the judge doesn't base his opinion on the latest fashion in halters.

Our bull is wearing a rope halter with a chin chain, just because the 6 year old cow we showed was wearing our biggest rolled nose band leather halter. We haven't showed bulls older than calves for a few years so he had to wear what we had and it saved changing halters in open stalls too!

The heifers pictured above are all calves, still on their dams and rules state females yearlings and above may be led by a nose clip-so it is recommended but not compulsory. The rules also state bulls yearling and above must have a nose ring.

Here is our first placed yearling heifer, wearing a nose clip-yes she is a bit broad in the brisket-too much grass. She should calve as a 2 year old in July.
DSC03226.jpg

Goddy, hi, the local show is Horowhenua A,P and I, held in Levin, about 90kms north of Wellington.

Latest posts