Grass fed, low input local operation in Middle TN

Help Support CattleToday:

hueyrescue

Reaction score
I am looking for those who have experience in producing for your local market; specifically if yours is an organic or psuedo- organic production. I am considering a small scale, low input system with grass and hay/silage only and minimal to no chemical intervention to produce for local folks on a co-op or similar type system. I would probably use old breed cattle (Ancient White Park, Galloway, Highland, etc) with good disease resistance and heat tolerance. Any input, contacts or otherwise helpful information is appreciated.

A good start- Subscribe to "The Stockman Grass Farmer". Don't limit your choice of cattle to what you called "old breeds". I'm sure the cattlemen of old looked over all the breeds of the day and made selections that would work. Those same breeds are popular today. The last 60 years or so many animals within a breed have been selected for grain finish. But we can find the type animal within a breed that will fit our grass based operation. I chose Red Angus and have been happy with the results. We plan on having a completely closed herd in the next 3 to 4 years. If I was younger and just starting out I would seriously look at Lents Anxiety-4th Herefords. Learn as much as you can before jumping in. Don't let the present demand and price fool you. Right now if its four legged and grassfed it will bring top dollar. In my opinion there is a lot of poorly finished cattle in the grassfed market. In the future, quality is going to count. You should start working on quality now.

Bluestem said:
In the future, quality is going to count. You should start working on quality now.[/quot]
Occasionally a true gem get's posted. This is one of those true gems

Bluestem,

as you went through the process of breed selection, what criteria did you use? What drew you to Red Angus? Do you market directly to consumers or through other channels? Thanks!

I was looking for thick bodied, moderate frame that tested well for marbling and tenderness. I lucked out and found what I was looking for in some Red Angus. We sell direct at this time. We have looked into coop's. Decided against it.

Latest posts