Grapples??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Considering grapple to help with brush cleanup mainly. Is this one decent? Using on a tractor.

Yes they work pretty good. I have one just like it made by CID. As long as you don't go hanging big logs out one side of it they hold up pretty good.

I have a grapple, it's real handy. Made by Armstrong Ag. Mine does not have the dual top like the one you have pictured. Would that take an additional remote?

I have a grapple, it's real handy. Made by Armstrong Ag. Mine does not have the dual top like the one you have pictured. Would that take an additional remote?
I just see one set of connectors.

A neighbor had one like this who recently passed with pancreatic cancer and said he really like it, so I got one like it. I have not used it much, but it beats doing it by hand. If you get it in the jaws, it will move it. I have had it maybe 4 years and the last one I seen sell at auction brought about double what I gave. After seeing Chevies post mine does grease at the pivots and made somewhere in Tennessee if I remember correctly and about all the weight you need out front on a tractor. I sure wouldn't want one made in China.

XEX0ddY.jpg

Here is one similar.

Last edited:
Look those Chinese ones over real well. Many of them just use a bolt thru a drilled hole for the pivot, no bushing or thick boss welded on. They typically don't hold up real well. There is a reason they are cheap to buy, then after they get tore up they sell for scrap at the auctions.

I have an HLA brand and it's heavy duty. Uses thick bosses for the pivots, with greasable bushings. Gussets everywhere, etc.

Compare the pivot points...

That one on the dealer lot looks like a 3/4" pin thru a drilled hole in 3/8" steel. Nearly guaranteed to bend when you clamp on something uneven and crooked.

The one I have is a 1" pin, drilled thru 1/2" plate with a 1.5" reinforcing bung welded on. And even it is slightly twisted from grabbing stumps brush that are always uneven and sideways in the jaws.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240217_072432_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240217_072432_Chrome.png
    709.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 83259.jpeg
    83259.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 18
Here is mine when it was new. Not sure how heavy duty it is, but no issues so far and I'm hell on my equipment. It will be getting a good workout soon with all the dead trees we have leftover from the drought.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.png
    IMG_4350.png
    592.2 KB · Views: 11
I've got 2 grapples from MTL Attachments in Georgia, one for the tractor and one for the skid. Well made and heavy duty. I use them every week and they've held up well for over 2 years now. I can't even begin to add up the amount of hours its saved me. The dual cylinders are really nice to have when working with trees and brush.1708178015578.jpeg

Ive got a 10 + year old Anbo 96 in, I don't think it can be bent/broke, but its sure hard on front tires when you pick up a log, that should have been pulled w/chain!:eek:

Last edited:
We got ours witht the new tractor because it has become so hard to get people to do the labor of nmoving brush or trees. Now we can cut and let them fall then clean up the mess in a fraction of the time. What I didn't realize is how handy it would be just moving posts and cleaning up junk. We have found a lot more uses for it other than just brush.

I will say though, it is very easy to tear them up or your tractor up if you don't pay attention. You can also turn a tractor over or get in a bind in a heart beat. We have that weighted up 6120 and if I grab some thing with the grappler that won't give, it will pull that tractor off the ground in a heart beat.

I'll put it on when I am shredding roads and ROWs and run with it so if I come across down limbs or trees or what every I clean them up as we go. A tree like this, if you can get it broke over, I grabbed and moved to a spot in the brush out of the way.

I've got a root rake grapple like the one in the link below. I think I would prefer one with two independent claws on top rather than one huge one. Mine is pretty frustrating trying to move big blocks of firewood as all but the biggest block will fall out. Also hard to grab certain trees if one end is substantially bigger than the other.

Root Rake Grapple

Latest posts