Grapevine on fences?

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
Well its been a while since I've had a chance to get on here and check out whats been going on but the last couple of days I've tried to sift through some of what I've missed and I guess it looks like everything is pretty much the same. Someone PM me if I missed something really good. :lol: OK now to my question.....

Does anyone know of a good way to get grapevine off of a fence without tearing up :oops: or down ;-) the fence. I have a fence that is in good condition but it won't be for long if I don't get a handle on the few sections where the grapevine has started really taking over. All the other fences I've ever dealt with this on I just took out the entire fence because it was that ggod to start with but I'd like to keep this one. I thought about trying to burn it off. (barbed wire and tee post)

Any suggestions??? :idea:

I might be wrong on this, but I seem to recall grapevine being on the list of plants that 2-4D kills - although I don't recall the mixture needed. If I am wrong on that, I would think that Round-Up would take care of it in pretty short order.

I think he wants it all off now? How long will it take for dead grapevine to fall off? I agree with just killing it with chemicals. Maybe try a torch.

Yeppers - loppers and elbow grease, then spray the fenceline w/ remedy or other chemical of choice, many others will work also. We have done lots of fences like this, it's the only way to not tear up the fence. The grapevines wind around the fence and will NOT fall off when dead.

I just kill them and MF rose and even blackberrys with Remedy and leave them. Don;t hurt the fences any and sure saves on elbow grease. Tearing them down after they've died is one of those things on my to do list. Right below letting an unclean yak sit on my face. Last time I tried ripping out the stuff with thorns it looked like I'ld been arm wrestling with a bobcat,thought I'ld need a blood transfusion.

dun

dun":virdd6ik said:
I just kill them and MF rose and even blackberrys with Remedy and leave them. Don;t hurt the fences any and sure saves on elbow grease. Tearing them down after they've died is one of those things on my to do list. Right below letting an unclean yak sit on my face. Last time I tried ripping out the stuff with thorns it looked like I'ld been arm wrestling with a bobcat,thought I'ld need a blood transfusion.

dun

Now that's a visual... :lol2:

Alice

dun":1qu6kr1c said:
I just kill them and MF rose and even blackberrys with Remedy and leave them.

My neighbor wouldn't have any fences if he pulled off the roses, blackberries and grapevines :lol:

Weedeater with a skillsaw blade on it. (turn the blade backwards) then spray the stumps. You can burn the tops but Fred's right about the rusting.Z

Latest posts